cherry barbs or cardinals

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by llfish, Nov 29, 2012.

1. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Hello

I am buying a schooling fish today, they will be with corys, honeys, and maybe an angel. I want one that will not nip. I was thinking either cherry barbs or cardinals..which is better.
    Any other suggestions?

2. Gamer

Gamer Well Known Member Member

For schoolers, cardinals definately shoal alot more tight than cherrys which scatter seperately alot. I've had cherry barbs nip the fins of my guppies and swordtails in the past.

3. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

My cherries only school if I stick my hands in their tank to do maintenance, otherwise they just have a couple at a time playing "tag" while the rest wander all over.

4. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Yeah, cherries don't school much.

5. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Cardinals! My Cherry Barbs were freakish little nuts. I don't think I'll ever own them again. They drove me and all the other fish crazy!

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My cherry barbs are perfect community tank residents. But, I've never had less than 10.

For many fish, schooling is strictly a defensive mechanism, so if the fish don't feel a threat then they won't school. Some fish school all the time, but that's not as common.

7. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I have cherry barbs and like them fine. You have to have more males than females but they pay no attention to anything but their own species. Mine are also with an angel and 23 black skirt tetra's. I think the trick with most nippers is to get enough of them.

What I find with smaller fish like that is they will generally stay at the bottom of the tank with larger fish with them. If you have all smaller fish, they will swim all over in the tank and not be in tight schools because they are not afraid. Fish that bunch up and remain in tight schools are generally nervous because of their tank mates.

:;dogrun I see I will have to post faster than Jaysee! LOL We are in total agreement.

8. OP
    OP
    llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Haha you got to be quick in here. So I went shopping today and I bought all the cardinals I could find..8 only I wanted 10 but that is ok. I also bought a school of 5 glass catfish I love those fellas. AND.....I may have bought a less than 2 inch blood parrot that looked lonely in his tiny little dirty tank at petsmart. I realize my 36 is too small...he will go in the 125g (when i get my christmas present!!) when it is ready in about 2 months. He is with some albino corys, 8 rasboras..and I have my 2 angels in there too..and one of them is not happy with his new tank mate :;saber. So I am moving one of the angels in my 29 with the cardinals, honeys and Juliis. I will post pictures of Bella the bp soon! Not shy at all..begs like a puppy at the front of the tank.

I am a sucker for a lonesome fish ;(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice