cherry barbs or bleeding heart tetras

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
This is for a 55?

I keep a bunch of different tetras as well as barbs. They have different qualities, so I would base the decision on what it is you want out of the school. Do you want the school to be active in the tank or do you want them to take up space in the tank?

silver beard

Yes, it is for the 55 and I would like your personal experience with either fish or favorite barb or tetra

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
I'm a big fan of cherry barbs. They are small, peaceful, colorful and interesting. I have 12 (6m:6f), which started in a 20 high (they could have remained there), then were moved to a 29, and are now in the 90. Most of them will stay in a loose group, with a few off doing something on their own. Sometimes they break into 2 groups, all males and all females. Males display a lot for females and when "fighting" other males. It's more of a dance than a fight. Their color is a really deep, rich red - very different than you see in the store most of the time. Females are a 2 tone crimson with a white belly - not as striking as the males but beautiful in their own right.

Tetras - I have congos, cardinals, bloodfins, neons, black neons, orange flames, serpaes and columbians. The congos are my favorite, but they are large and active, so I don't think they would be good for your tank. Orange flame tetras are my favorite as a filler fish. I use tetras to fill space and add colors to a tank. I've found they all pretty much act the same, with a few exceptions. It's just a matter of what color you want. I say they are filler fish because they just take up space and they are more or less brain dead.

jclee

Well Known
I second Jaysees opinions about cherry barbs. I've had a small school for about six years now, and I love the color and movement that they bring to the tank. I've never had bleeding heart tetras, but that's just a matter of taste. I never got very interested in their look. (Purely aesthetic opinion, here; I have nothing against the species.)

silver beard

How many cherry barbs do you think could fit in my tank stocking wise. Also how big are your cherry barbs THANKS
And HAPPY NEW YEAR

jclee

Well Known
Since you asked about stocking, I took the liberty of hopping over toto see how full it thought your tank was. Here is what it came up with:

It sounds like, namely because of the silver dollars, you tank is already fully stocked (or will be, once the fish grow in to their full size).

You may want to check out a species profile for silver dollars. They get quite large: https://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile23.html

silver beard

That's some weird info on the silver dollars nipping and I have the recommended male to female ratio with the platys and my silver dollars won't school they were bought as a pair and won't even school with the new one I got which is perfectly fine wondering around the tank on his own. THANKS for doing that though

jclee

Well Known
You're welcome.

daniigirl

Cherry barbs are awesome! I have two and they brighten up my tank wonderfully! I'm hoping to get more in the future

daniigirl

Oh look, their they are on my pic lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Samuel97
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
djnjoelle
Replies
Views
Guppy43

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom