Cherry Barbs Lethargic?

Anniestells

Hello! In the past week or so, I’ve noticed my barbs becoming listless. They seem to hover, only moving their fins a tiny bit to stay in place. They tend to point their heads down, and stay there all day. When I feed them they appear more active but the moment they’re done, right back to hovering. Any ideas as to why? (More than willing to provide other info if needed) Thanks!

image.jpg

ZMAN3

Hey, I also keep cherry barbs so this has me curious. What size is your tank and how many do you have? Mine tend to hover and tilt down when they are looking for algae to nibble on. Any other unusual behavior? Are they clamping their fins?

Anniestells

ZMAN3 said:
Hey, I also keep cherry barbs so this has me curious. What size is your tank and how many do you have? Mine tend to hover and tilt down when they are looking for algae to nibble on. Any other unusual behavior? Are they clamping their fins?
My tank is 10 gallons, recently 6 but two passed due to infections from previously introduced catfish (though this was cleared up several weeks ago and everyone looks great now). Personally, I’m not certain if the remaining four are this way because their school shrunk in size? ‍♀ My male has had a clamped fin for a day or two, but one of my fellow fish-keeping friends suggested it was just stress. I’d like to add to their school again, the bioload wasn’t too bad as I do frequent water changes :)

Anniestells

Anniestells said:
My tank is 10 gallons, recently 6 but two passed due to infections from previously introduced catfish (though this was cleared up several weeks ago and everyone looks great now). Personally, I’m not certain if the remaining four are this way because their school shrunk in size? ‍♀ My male has had a clamped fin for a day or two, but one of my fellow fish-keeping friends suggested it was just stress. I’d like to add to their school again, the bioload wasn’t too bad as I do frequent water changes :)
Added a photo of him, just now.

image.jpg

ZMAN3

Anniestells said:
Hello! In the past week or so, I’ve noticed my barbs becoming listless. They seem to hover, only moving their fins a tiny bit to stay in place. They tend to point their heads down, and stay there all day. When I feed them they appear more active but the moment they’re done, right back to hovering. Any ideas as to why? (More than willing to provide other info if needed) Thanks!

image.jpg
That's a great looking tank. I also currently have my 6 (4 female / 2 male) going through the 10 gallon quarantine tank. I will say that when I was slowly adding them and only had 3 that they were a lot less energetic.

I'd keep an eye on the one with clamped fins to make sure nothing else looks abnormal. If you are confident that your parameters are good and stable, I wouldn't do anything else. If you suspect it could be something in particular based on past events, you may want to have the treatment handy if it goes that way.

Anniestells

ZMAN3 said:
That's a great looking tank. I also currently have my 6 (4 female / 2 male) going through the 10 gallon quarantine tank. I will say that when I was slowly adding them and only had 3 that they were a lot less energetic.

I'd keep an eye on the one with clamped fins to make sure nothing else looks abnormal. If you are confident that your parameters are good and stable, I wouldn't do anything else. If you suspect it could be something in particular based on past events, you may want to have the treatment handy if it goes that way.
thanks so much! ❤ Hmmm guessing that it might be related to the lack of fellow barbs then- I’ll update you on the schools behavior once I get more? (Just curious, some people are very firm believers in getting only so many fish for smaller tanks. With enough water changes and a healthy amount of space, I should be able to stock 6 barbs, 6 catfish, and my dwarf gourami?) I’m hopeful he's just being shy and that they soon will resume typical energetic schooling

//I have medicine on hand for the infection that my previous fish passed from, just in case!//

thanks for everything btw!!

ZMAN3

Anniestells said:
thanks so much! ❤ Hmmm guessing that it might be related to the lack of fellow barbs then- I’ll update you on the schools behavior once I get more? (Just curious, some people are very firm believers in getting only so many fish for smaller tanks. With enough water changes and a healthy amount of space, I should be able to stock 6 barbs, 6 catfish, and my dwarf gourami?) I’m hopeful he's just being shy and that they soon will resume typical energetic schooling

//I have medicine on hand for the infection that my previous fish passed from, just in case!//

thanks for everything btw!!
I would like to do a similar stocking arrangement in my 15 gal which I am still setting back up. (6 cherry barbs, 6 pygmy cory habrosus, 1 betta) so I am curious to see if yours works out. A lot of people say cherry barbs need more space to swim around. I might eventually step it up to a 29gal.

Anniestells

ZMAN3 said:
I would like to do a similar stocking arrangement in my 15 gal which I am still setting back up. (6 cherry barbs, 6 pygmy cory habrosus, 1 betta) so I am curious to see if yours works out. A lot of people say cherry barbs need more space to swim around. I might eventually step it up to a 29gal.
My dwarf is super calm so I guess I am quite lucky. Ive heard that others can be pretty territorial, and the same applies w bettas. Tbh I think you should be good to go in a 15 gal, I’d watch for nipping though! I’ll definitely update this thread once my tank is fully stocked

Basil

They definitely seem like stressed cherry barbs. The trick is figuring out why.
What are your exact ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?
And by any chance do you know the ph of your source water?
Large swings in water parameters, especially ph, can definitely cause stress. And in a 10 g water parameters can swing more quickly due to the smaller amount of water.
So do check that your aren’t inadvertently causing things to swing too much.

Anniestells

Basil said:
They definitely seem like stressed cherry barbs. The trick is figuring out why.
What are your exact ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?
And by any chance do you know the ph of your source water?
Large swings in water parameters, especially ph, can definitely cause stress. And in a 10 g water parameters can swing more quickly due to the smaller amount of water.
So do check that your aren’t inadvertently causing things to swing too much.
source ph- 7
tank ph- 7.7
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 10ppm

I just made another thread, it appears my fish have Columnaris my tank is very clean and I do my best to limit stress (no loud noises, scheduled feeding and lights, lots of live plants to hide in, etc.) it really sucks that they have become ill, any tips on how to make them feel better would be greatly appreciated

Basil

Anniestells said:
source ph- 7
tank ph- 7.7
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 10ppm

I just made another thread, it appears my fish have Columnaris my tank is very clean and I do my best to limit stress (no loud noises, scheduled feeding and lights, lots of live plants to hide in, etc.) it really sucks that they have become ill, any tips on how to make them feel better would be greatly appreciated
I’ve never dealt with columnaris so I hope you get some good advice.

Anniestells

Basil said:
I’ve never dealt with columnaris so I hope you get some good advice.
Thank you :,)

Top Bottom