Cherry Barbs in Quarantine Have Dark Spot

wateriswet

I purchased 6 somewhat young cherry barbs a week ago. Once they were in the bucket (3 gal, cycled sponge filter, artificial plants) I'm using to quarantine them, I noticed that 1 was "off." That 1 didn't school with the others, just acted different, and had a single freckle-like spot on it. I thought it was just its individual personality and a harmless spot but it died 4 days after purchasing. Now 1 of the surviving 5 has a similar dark spot (top center of the photo). The spot is only on 1 side and so far it is acting like the rest of the school. None seem very hungry and they hide all day. I had thought they were just adjusting to my food but I've tried 3 types of flakes, dried blood worms, dried brine shrimp, 2 kinds of sinking pellets, plus shelled peas and blanched zucchini. They barely eat anything and it has been a week. Do you know what is wrong with them?

Should I try to return them? I'm afraid to put them in my main tank and either infect my other fish or have these little guys starve and get out competed for food by my gouramis.

1593748402639.png

Madchild57

wateriswet said:
I purchased 6 somewhat young cherry barbs a week ago. Once they were in the bucket (3 gal, cycled sponge filter, artificial plants) I'm using to quarantine them, I noticed that 1 was "off." That 1 didn't school with the others, just acted different, and had a single freckle-like spot on it. I thought it was just its individual personality and a harmless spot but it died 4 days after purchasing. Now 1 of the surviving 5 has a similar dark spot (top center of the photo). The spot is only on 1 side and so far it is acting like the rest of the school. None seem very hungry and they hide all day. I had thought they were just adjusting to my food but I've tried 3 types of flakes, dried blood worms, dried brine shrimp, 2 kinds of sinking pellets, plus shelled peas and blanched zucchini. They barely eat anything and it has been a week. Do you know what is wrong with them?

Should I try to return them? I'm afraid to put them in my main tank and either infect my other fish or have these little guys starve and get out competed for food by my gouramis.

1593748402639.png
Are you sure they're not eating, or are they just not eating when you're around. New fish are a lot more comfortable with people away. I wouldn't know what a dark spot is, are you sure that just hasn't always been there and its a coincidence? Typically infectous spots are white/red. Its normal for fish to die after getting them, sometimes they're just weak or runts and don't last very long.

Wrench

I was reading about my new blood parrot chiclid...he started to get brown dots amd splotches on him, I read that this is stress induced and to go lights out and keep the room very quiet.
I started to go half time on the day lights so roughly 3.5 hours and I usually leave the blue on about 30mins before bed but have stopped doing so and the chiclids colors are correcting gradually.
He also found a hiding spot in my upside down vase I have,which may have helped out as the other guys have yet to enter the top of it.

wateriswet

Thanks. Anyone else have opinions on the spot? I'm debating shortening my quarantine time and releasing them sooner to try to distract an aggressive male gourami. The local place I bought him from won't take him back since it's been more than 3 days

Maybe they eat a tiny bit? If so, it is much less for all 5 of them than a single 2" gourami. There is half the food still floating in the ring an hour after feeding and what looks to be half on the bottom.

Top Bottom