Cherry Barbs, Flame Tetras, or other reddish schooler? ,

Akeath

I'm trying to decide on an additional schooling fish for my 40 gallon breeder. I'd get 7 individuals. I want a schooling fish that is dark orange to red and won't fin nip. I've been researching Cherry Barbs and Flame Tetras and am torn on which to get. What do you think would be best? Is there another red or orange schooler I'm overlooking?

Here's the tank
As you can see from the pic, the hardscape is wood and a few pieces of sandstone in shades of cream, yellow and a deep orange/red. The fish choices match those colors. So far I've got mostly yellow fish with some bronze and cream mixed in. The deep orange /red schooing fish is meant to complement the primary orangish rock color.

7.4 ph, 10 dgh, 75 degrees. 2 filters with adjustable currents, weekly water changes, established for years already.
Current stocking
7 harlequin rasbora (bronze)
7 Cory cats (albino, so cream)
1 Bolivian ram (pops of red and yellow)
1 longfin bristle nose (yellow)
2 honey gourami (yellow)
4 Amano shrimp (brown)
4 mystery snails (yellow, blue)
2 platy (yellow, orange)
So I won't be overstocked I'm waiting till some of the very elderly mystery snails pass of old age, and will remove the platies before getting the new school.

If possible I want the new fish not to have much yellow, as there's already alot of yellow. I've also got lots of bottom dwellers, and am wondering if the cherry barbs will make the bottom too crowded or of they'll swim more in the middle. For the flame Tetras, are their body shapes different enough from the harlequins to stand out?

20210829_130506.jpg

Mudminnow

Other options to consider are the chili rasbora and the espie rasbora.

A201

Odessa Barbs. The males turn bright red w/silver & black highlights. A very active Barb that only grows to two inches.

Akeath

Added info to the main post. I accidentally posted before I was done giving tank info/background.

carsonsgjs

Ember tetras could work too. Nothing in there that could eat them as they stay small.

JettsPapa

Serpae tetras fit your criteria. Please don't give too much weight to their reputation for fin nipping. In adequate sized groups they have enough of their own species to focus their attention on and are unlikely to bother the other tank inhabitants. The seven you mentioned is probably borderline. I'd go with one or two more.

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 Gallon Tank My Walstad's Journey :)
Replies
Views
grac3
Replies
Views
FreshWaterFishEnthusiast
Replies
Views
sillylittlefishey
  • Question