Cherry barbs bullying other cherry barb.

Cherrydude

Hi! I need some help, I got 3 cherry barbs recently. I know they are schooling fish and I plan on getting 3 more as soon as possible. Right now I have one male and two females.

But, the male is getting bullied! One of the females (I think) chases him away and he just always stay behind the filter. All his fins and tail look rugged from the fin nips :(

Anything I can do for him? He eats just fine but then gets chased in the corner again.

BigManAquatics

Probably getting the numbers up would help more than anything. That was about the only thing i could do with tiger barbs. I know cherries aren't supposed to be as aggressive, but the logic seems a lot the same.

Cherrydude

Probably getting the numbers up would help more than anything. That was about the only thing i could do with tiger barbs. I know cherries aren't supposed to be as aggressive, but the logic seems a lot the same.
Thanks, I guess I'll go visit the fish store on monday then. Do you recommend another male and 2 females or just 3 females?

BigManAquatics

Thanks, I guess I'll go visit the fish store on monday then. Do you recommend another male and 2 females or just 3 females?
I think the ratio i have seen is 1:3 or so. But 1:2 shouldn't be so bad. The thing about that that isn't fun, is its the males that get all the pretty colors!

Cherrydude

I think the ratio i have seen is 1:3 or so. But 1:2 shouldn't be so bad. The thing about that that isn't fun, is its the males that get all the pretty colors!
Heheh yeah, I'll get more and see if it helps! Thank you!

PAcanis

Mine were the opposite. I had a male that got rid of the other males until he was the one and only. Increasing numbers did not work. If there were eight and one was another male, he'd chase it to death.

Actually, I moved all my Cherries into another tank a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen that male for the last 4-5 days and thought he finally met the end. But he's out today. Incredible how much they've all grown. And they were already big. And the tank is smaller.

Anyway, good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kelvin12
Replies
Views
pRoy33
Replies
Views
RedLoredAmazon
Replies