Cherry barbs + ADF = ?

Achpe
I've got a 10 gallon tank - well planted, 29 gallon filter - with 3 ADF's (African Dwarf Frogs) and I'm thinking of putting in a small school of Cherry Barbs. My ADF's have done very well with fish in their tank in the past, as long as the fish are peaceful and don't steal their food.

I've had barbs before (Checker barbs, supposedly peaceful) in a larger tank with my ADF's and they were mercilessly nipped, making me send the barbs back to my LFS... Call me a worry-wart, but I'd like some reassurance before I go out and buy them.

What I'd like to know:

How many Cherries are ideal for keeping them all happy without overstocking too much? A little overstocking can be dealt with. (yes, my system is well established, well filtered and gets weekly 25% water changes)

Will they steal the food off the bottom from my slow-moving frogs?

Do they do well in moderately lit aquariums with sand substrate? I do have several thick stands of planted and floating Water Sprite for my frogs, but a lot of open space.

That's it for now. I appreciate any and all help!

Barbrella
IMO, a 10 gallon tank is not large enough for 3 ADFs and at least 3 cherry barbs (2 female, 1 male). Cherries can grow to be a good size.

Aside from that, although cherry barbs are very peaceful and even timid, they are like all barbs in that they are extremely greedy and definitely will eat all your frogs' food.

They will eat anything and are very good at finding any morsel in the tank. They won't hesitate to even snatch food right out of your frogs' mouths!

Achpe
Very good to know. ADF's are pretty bad with finding food to start and I don't need their food stolen from their mouth. It appears they stay alone for the time being!

Barbrella
Good decision!

As proof, here's a pic of one of my female cherry barbs creeping along the tank bottom and just getting ready to snatch a wafer right out from under one of my corys. She's like "Excuse me - are you going to eat that??"

Achpe
After much research and so many questions my LFS probably rushes to close when they see me marching up to their doors, I've decided to add...

Two more ADF's instead of fish Rosy Barbs would look impressive in the tank, but Mildrew and Potts make the other 3 quite happy.

Tazmiche
My Checkered barbs are a dream, so sweet and peaceful!!!!! My 'peaceful' cherry barbs killed a guppy and shredded another in our 'peaceful community tank' It HAS to depend on the personality of each fish for sure. The more I read on here the more I believe it!

Checkered and Cherry barbs are FAB!!!! Minimum of 6 fish for sure, pref 2 females to one male. Cherry wise they are a red colour, females burnt orange with ruby cheeks!! stunning!!

may not be a good idea with your frogs. If I were you I wouldn't go down that route. Another tank for barbs a def good idea!! Read all of this forum for ideas

Barbrella
My 'peaceful' cherry barbs killed a guppy and shredded another in our 'peaceful community tank'

I don't believe in mixing certain fish. Guppies, (and bettas) with their flowing tails flashing around, can make an irrisistable target even for peaceful fish.

Tazmiche
I get that now but at the time I was a new fish keeper and the store played the oh they will be fine together card!!

Barbrella
We've all been there!

I just wanted to point out that cherry barbs ARE peaceful and great additions to most communities when kept with suitable tankmates!

Fishies-for-me
I have 3 cherry barbs. On the advise of a lfs I bought them he said they would be fine with anyone. I had one male that kept everyone else in the tank piled up in one corner...the tank had 20 fish ( 10 cherries and 10 glolight tetras)in a 36 gallon bow front and it looked empty...lol. Then the barbs got ick and in the process of treating them they got sick from the meds and died...I now know that all you need it heat and time...but ...I didn't know that now...the aggressive male was one of the survivors along with 2 females... He has not taken over the tank again.....YET!!...lol I am not planning on replacing them altho they are a lovely fish to look at .

dsenk
I have 7 cherry barbs and 6 gold barbs. They do very well together, even with the three mollies, three cory's and 2 ADF's. I do think I am going to rehome the mollies. They just look so out of place now. I have them in a 26 gal bowfront tank

zambize
I've had ADF's for a while and I think I've read just about everything on the internet about my ADF's...LOL (but really). They need about 1 gallon per frog. Be very careful about taking *any* chances. ADF's are so fragile the slightest nip can remove a foot or a leg and they are not likely to live that way.

Zambize

Lucy
I've had ADF's for a while and I think I've read just about everything on the internet about my ADF's...LOL (but really). They need about 1 gallon per frog. Be very careful about taking *any* chances. ADF's are so fragile the slightest nip can remove a foot or a leg and they are not likely to live that way.

Zambize

That's interesting to know, I had been advised they needed at least 2.5 per frog.

Achpe, before you add any frogs to your tank, please read this:

dedraic
I originally kept my 10 gallon with three cherry barbs and my two African dwarf frogs, and this set up was fine for more than a month. The cherry barbs didn't seem to voraciously eat the bloodworms, they seemed much more content with flake and the only interaction I ever saw between the two was a frog trying to bite one of the female barbs when she stole a bloodworm from it.

I find the ADFs can live peacefully with pretty much any small fish(not danio's), the key for me was to feed a small amount of flake followed by dropping bloodworms pretty much on their head. I originally had them in a 40 gallon with eight danios and had to resort to hand feeding (wash hands extremely well, rinse off the soap for an extended period of time, grab bloodworms and hold 'em there until they start eating.)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlueRaccoon
Replies
Views
Suppi
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views