Cherry barb

Jackkelly

Just wondering what people’s opinions and experiences are with this fish

Iggypuffer

I love them! They are so cute when they swim around together! Although I would make sure to get them from somewhere that you have had a good experience with, because I got seven from a place that I had never bought fish from before and three of them died :( , but I guess that's good advice when you are buying any fish. Also mine love to hang out in the live plants.:)

Jackkelly

Did you experience much aggression?

Mhamilton0911

Aggression when too low of numbers, yes. I only have 2 (the rest died from ich that they came with from Petco). My one male chases the one female a lot, but she has spots to hide, and they have spawned several times. I plan to get more, I do like them. Not aggressive at all with other fish though, at least in my tank.

LadfromLondon

What tank size guys?

Mhamilton0911

I have mine in a 48 gal

Leeman75

They have always been on my "want list" but I'm set at schoolers for the moment, so until my Zebra Danios or Tetras die off or I gain a new tank, I won't be getting any.

As for aggression, my research indicates that they seem to be the one Barb that is not very aggressive with other types of fish.

LadfromLondon

Mhamilton0911 said:
I have mine in a 48 gal
What is the minimum size required?

Basil

I love mine. I have 6 (2 males and 4 females) in a 40 b. They do love swimming through plants and are active in all parts of the tank. No aggression toward each other or my other fish. They are, however, little piggies as all my barbs are lol!

Iggypuffer

Jackkelly said:
I have one male and three females in a 25g community tank and have experience no aggression at all. :)

Deku-Cory

I'm a bit late but I'll still add my experience with these guys. I love mine, both the males and females are gorgeous fish and I think they are one of the best choices for a schooling fish for a planted tank.

I have 15 in my 75 gallon planted tank, 5 females and 10 males. You might expect that gender ratio to be a problem, but it hasn't. I think tank size and school size play a huge role in that. Aggression definitely was an issue in the 10 gallon quarantine tank, the most dominant males would claim their own sections of the tank and chase everyone off. They still do that sometimes, but since the tank they're in is so large the other Cherry Barbs can just go off somewhere else and still have plenty of room. There is also occasional quick chasing, but that's totally normal for Barbs and never results in any nipping or stress. They also never bother my Cories, they completely ignore each other and are civil during feeding time.

They are very active and inquisitive fish, always exploring and looking for food. They are not shy in the least and will come right up to the glass to check me out. They love having live plants to investigate or to hide in, and their colors are amazing against the greenery of the plants. As a bonus, they're inexpensive and quite hardy. With how active they are, and with the aforementioned territory issue, I personally think the absolute minimum size for them would be a 20 gallon long, with bigger being better. Basically, if you like the look of them and you have a tank large enough, they are a great pick.

Here's a GIF of them in my tank right before feeding time, so you can see how they look and behave in a typical tank.

Basil

Deku-Cory said:
I'm a bit late but I'll still add my experience with these guys. I love mine, both the males and females are gorgeous fish and I think they are one of the best choices for a schooling fish for a planted tank.

I have 15 in my 75 gallon planted tank, 5 females and 10 males. You might expect that gender ratio to be a problem, but it hasn't. I think tank size and school size play a huge role in that. Aggression definitely was an issue in the 10 gallon quarantine tank, the most dominant males would claim their own sections of the tank and chase everyone off. They still do that sometimes, but since the tank they're in is so large the other Cherry Barbs can just go off somewhere else and still have plenty of room. There is also occasional quick chasing, but that's totally normal for Barbs and never results in any nipping or stress. They also never bother my Cories, they completely ignore each other and are civil during feeding time.

They are very active and inquisitive fish, always exploring and looking for food. They are not shy in the least and will come right up to the glass to check me out. They love having live plants to investigate or to hide in, and their colors are amazing against the greenery of the plants. As a bonus, they're inexpensive and quite hardy. With how active they are, and with the aforementioned territory issue, I personally think the absolute minimum size for them would be a 20 gallon long, with bigger being better. Basically, if you like the look of them and you have a tank large enough, they are a great pick.

Here's a GIF of them in my tank right before feeding time, so you can see how they look and behave in a typical tank.

Wow! Your tank is gorgeous! Do you just have corys and cherry barbs in the 75?
If so, I have a similar stocking in my 75: tiger barbs and Queen loaches. :)

Deku-Cory

Basil said:
Wow! Your tank is gorgeous! Do you just have corys and cherry barbs in the 75?
If so, I have a similar stocking in my 75: tiger barbs and Queen loaches. :)
Thank you! I just see a black beard algae farm so I'm glad people like it! Yeah, I have Bronze and Peppered Cories and the Cherry Barbs. I want to get some sort of centerpiece fish but I haven't decided what.

Basil

Deku-Cory said:
Thank you! I just see a black beard algae farm so I'm glad people like it! Yeah, I have Bronze and Peppered Cories and the Cherry Barbs. I want to get some sort of centerpiece fish but I haven't decided what.
I didn’t notice the algae in the video. I was awed by the gorgeous barbs! :D

Cherryx

Jackkelly said:
My male cherry barbs were very aggressive so I had to return a few. Now i have 2/4 ratio - still the 2 boys are chasing each other. No nipping. But I would take "cherry barbs as a peaceful fish" narrative with a huge grain of salt. There are lots of similar experiences online. But they are very active and fun to watch otherwise. Females are well behaved, also more fun to observe. After ensuring a good gender balance my guys are absolute joy to watch.

Top Bottom