Cherry Barb spawn in Quarantine Tank?

elBez

Hey all,

Recently QT'd five cherry barbs for 3 weeks before moving them over to the display tank. Moved them over maybe 2 weeks ago.

My daughter kept saying "hi" to the fishies, which I thought was odd, until our eldest matter of factly stated that there were still fish in the tank. I looked in and to my utter surprise, I can see 3 small fry darting about. They're roughly 1 cm long (3/8th of an inch) and I am a mess of emotions: I wasn't maintaining the water, nor doing changes in the tank, and was just casually seeding it with flake food to keep the BB maintained.

My first thoughts are to test the water, and then possibly attempt a water change since it's been two weeks. Otherwise, what would people recommend that I feed the fry? I've heard that crumbled cooked egg yolk works. Would they eat sinking algae pucks, or little tiny pieces of them? About how long will they need to grow before they can be released into my main tank?

Thank you in advance for all of your help! I will of course be looking around the forums and other places for solutions too.

V1K

At 1 cm, you don't need any specific food, you can just crush those same flakes you were unknowingly feeding them all this time, and as you can see they survived just fine eating that. Since it took you so long to notice them, I'm assuming there are some plants in the tank, so there will be something for them to nibble on (melting leaves, algae) for variety. Barb fry are ones of the least finicky to take care of.

I'd say raise them to the size of an adult cherry shrimp if you want to be 100% safe.

elBez

At 1 cm, you don't need any specific food, you can just crush those same flakes you were unknowingly feeding them all this time, and as you can see they survived just fine eating that. Since it took you so long to notice them, I'm assuming there are some plants in the tank, so there will be something for them to nibble on (melting leaves, algae) for variety. Barb fry are ones of the least finicky to take care of.

I'd say raise them to the size of an adult cherry shrimp if you want to be 100% safe.
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. There's no "real" plants in the tank, just plastic, but some algae has grown up one of the walls near a cave that I've added. They seem to nibble at this.

I think that I'll monitor the water quality. I've heard that fry need water changes every 3 days - is this something I should be doing, or just 1 change per week as usual?

V1K

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. There's no "real" plants in the tank, just plastic, but some algae has grown up one of the walls near a cave that I've added. They seem to nibble at this.

I think that I'll monitor the water quality. I've heard that fry need water changes every 3 days - is this something I should be doing, or just 1 change per week as usual?
Depends on the size of the tank, the bigger it is the longer it stays clean, but I think that they are already past the critical stage. My understanding is that freshly hatched fry is the most sensitive, and they get sturdier as they grow. So if they survived this long with you skipping a water change because you thought it's empty, they should survive you doing normal weekly water changes. If you have any real plants in your display tank, I would suggest adding some trimmings, floating plants or whatever plants you can spare to their tank - provided this tank has a light that can support plant growth. Live plants would improve water quality, so you wouldn't need to worry about it so much, and would provide an additional food source.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kelvin12
Replies
Views
airfix2
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
Replies
Views