Cherry Barb Resting On Bottom Of Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBK

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi! I have a Cherry Barb that I’ve had for about 6 months now, and it’s resting on the bottom of the tank, and seems to lack energy. Sometimes he swims around for spurts, but he’s usually on the bottom not moving much. When he swims it seems forced, and not as graceful as the other Cherry Barbs I have. I noticed a deep red spot that bulges slightly (very slightly) from his left underbelly. Does anyone know if that’s linked to the lack of energy? Or what it is?

Thanks for the help!

OP
J

JoeBK

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He also sinks rapidly when he stops swimming and falls onto his left side.

OP
J

JoeBK

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Was this fish a recent addition? Did you acclimate the cherry barb? Do you know your water parameters? Could be due to poor acclimation, illness, ammonia/nitrogen poisoning, etc. This will help narrow it down.
The fish has been in there for about 6 months. I just did a 75% water change and seem to have low nitrite and nitrate levels. I’m definitely going to try to get the water tested professionally tomorrow.

AmnScott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The fish has been in there for about 6 months. I just did a 75% water change and seem to have low nitrite and nitrate levels. I’m definitely going to try to get the water tested professionally tomorrow.
Water changes and clean water will help the survival of the fish for sure. If nitrite is present this may indicate you are going through a mini-cycle or experiencing an ammonia spike of some kind. Yeah, testing your water parameter professionally is a good idea. I'd even buy the ammonia or 5-1 test strips to see where they're at.

Swingline

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So how can you tell nitrite and nitrate levels seem to be low? Do you ever test your water properly in the last 6 month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 2 25.0%

Top Bottom