Cherry Barb Question Question

Discussion in 'Cherry Barbs' started by WadeEH, Jan 1, 2013.

1. WadeEH

WadeEHValued MemberMember

I bought my first six Cherry Barbs about 7-8 weeks ago and so far none of them have showed any red color. Does this mean that I probably have all females or could it be that they are not yet mature or something else? I didn't know how old they had to be to start to show red. I would estimate their current sizes from 1 - 1.25 inches.

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Are they like an orgish color? My females were... could you maybe get a picture of them? That should be showing color if they were male by now..

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's big enough to know the sex. If they aren't red, they aren't males.

4. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

My cherrys were smaller than yours are now when I got them, but the males were always noticably bright red. They got more red as they grew. The females have a bright line/stripe going down their sides and are not particularly red.

5. OP
    OP
    WadeEH

It sounds like I have all females. I guess I will have to find some males. I am only buying ones that are showing red already at the store this time. :D Here are some pictures.

Cherry Barbs (1).JPGCherry Barbs (2).JPG

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Oh yeah you got all girls :) I have 7 females myself (sent them to my brothers for a bit)

7. OP
    OP
    WadeEH

Thanks for the info everyone. Now I need to find some male Cherry Barbs and female Gold Barbs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice