Cherry Barb not eating.

1. l

lcorona New Member Member

Three of my four male Cherry Barbs are not eating.I think the cause is that they have been bullied out of eating by my 9 zebra danios. The one that is eating actually eats very little. The only solution I can think of is to trick the barbs to moving their territory by adding more plants to a certain area the Danios won't go to for some reason. Do you think this will work? One final question: Can you tie a Java fern to a plastic decoration, and they will still thrive?

2. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Have you tried to target feed the barbs by feeding the danios at one end and the barbs at the other? Danios are pretty aggressive eaters but maybe you can trick them. Not 100% about the fern but I think so.

3. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

danios are definitely aggressive eaters, i'd try spreading the food across the entire tank and not feeding in one area every time and feeding after you turn out the lights. that'll slow the danios down and hopefully let some of the other fish get some :)

4. OP
    OP
    l

Yeah, but they just aren't eating anymore even when the danios aren't there. They're probably scared of when the danios do come.

5. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Have you tested your water lately?

6. OP
    OP
    l

Yeah, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. There's only four, maybe there isn't enough of them?

7. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

that's possible, they would probably feel more comfortable in a larger school if you have room in your tank. if your aquarium info is correct and these fish are in a 55 gallon tank with just the cories and the danios you could definitely add 4-5 more, i'm sure that would help some :)

8. OP
    OP
    l

Thanks! I better do that before they starve IMO.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It takes a few weeks for a fish to starve to death, FYI. I don't think it's the school size that's making them not eat.

10. OP
    OP
    l

Well I might as well do It anyway. They are being a bit shy. It's worth a try after all.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would add 5 females. Barbs do best in a close to even m/f split, and they're far more interesting that way.

12. OP
    OP
    l

I think I'll do just 4 females, I don't want excess ammonia.

13. OP
    OP
    l

So I bought the new barbs. They were just added 5 min. ago. Right now they are freaking out a bit, but that's normal. In fact the danios and the barbs are actually swimming together!

EDIT: 2 of my males are fighting, and their black stripe is just about invisible! What do I do?!