Cherry Barb help

1. bobicus880 Initiate Member

I have a cherry barb only tank, and one of my younger cherry barbs is now showing signs of some sort of illness. He mainly rests on the bottom of the tank, but when he Does swim his tail will go down, and his head will go up. He also seems to jerk his head to swim. This presents a couple of questions
    1. what is wrong with my cherry barb?
    2. how would I treat it?
    3. I have a hospital tank already set up, but there is 5 black neon tetras in it being treated for parasites. Would it be ok to put my cherry barb in there?
    4. Would being the only cherry barb in the hospital tank possibly make his condition worse?

I have had this tank set up for almost a year and a half. I don't have an expensive test, but all water parameters are listed fine. So far this is the only cherry barb to be effected. The tempature is also a little high at 81.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!! im sorry your barb is sick though :(

can you help us try to help you more?
    whats your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates?
    what test kit are you using?

without knowing if you might be in a mini cycle or not, I can say that barbs do like to be in schools with others of their own..but it shouldnt make him rest on the bottom...

it might be a good idea to get a test kit of your own...api makes a liquid master kit that can do 100s of tests and has everything you need in one kit.....good luck with your cherry baby!

3. bobicus880 Initiate Member

Well I don't own one of my own so when I go to the local fish store I bring some water, and have them test it. I didn't ask specifics but the guy said everything is perfect (this was 3 days ago). The barb is currently in my 33 gallon cherry barb only tank so he is still with the other fish. I have had these same fish for a long time and have had multiple babies. This is the first one to show signs of a sickness. I'm not new to fishkeeping by any means, but this is my first disease my cherry barbs have had, and I have no idea what it could be. Recently my 75 gallon tank containg turtles and tetras has had a parasite problem (new fish from petco...) so the inflicted fish are currently in my hospital tank. I'll try to sum up the symptoms to make it easier to diagnose.

Fish swims around the bottom stopping in one place for a few minutes then continuing on.
    When it does move the fish has trouble swimming often having it's tail down and head up.
    The fish also jerks it's head when it swims.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

mini cycles can creep up on us all when we least expect it....and fish stores are out to make money MOST of the time...now and then you can find a good one but its rare...I dont make any money off giving you advice ;)

having your own kit lets you know, always, where your water stands...but if you choose not to have one, thats ok too :) allot of pet stores use strips to test (cheaper and much faster for them) and they are not reliable as they give false readings more often than not....im glad this is your first fish issue...thats great!~

I do hope things look up, but without knowing exactly what your water parimeters are, its hard to say whats going on ....

5. bobicus880 Initiate Member

I would think that every fish would be effected by a mini cycle while in my case there is only one fish that seems to be having trouble. I have very young fry in that tank, and they too seem to be fine. To me it seems like a sort of sickness caused by outiside sources however I have not added anything new in this tank in nearly a year.
    If you have any idea what disease, or parasite could cause symptoms like the kind my fish has that would help most. I know my water is not the issue. I change it weekly, and all LFS tests come out great (although my ph was a little high last month).

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

no every fish wouldnt be effected by a mini cycle...each fish tolerates it diffrently..including fry...again, without knowing your water parimeters, its hard to offer advice...I have had tanks for many years but ive also had mini cycles because of one reason or another...and the first sign of one, is fish being lethargic and acting different...if you choose to not get a kit and keep the fish stores testing for you, thats ok as well....if you dont think its your water, thats ok also...but its always the first place to start before worrying about medication and other illness's...

good luck either way :)

7. bobicus880 Initiate Member

Alright thanks for setting me straight :;smack I'll try to get it tested again tomorrow, and this time I'll get specifics. Still only one fish being effected seems so strange.