Cherry Barb, Help! Red Spot Near Anal Fin

1. Emmanuel Gomez

Emmanuel Gomez New Member Member

Hey guys, so about a week or so ago, I noticed one of my female cherry barb had developed a small red spot at the base of her anal fin. I was guessing that since she was ready to lay eggs, that it was going to be soon. But today, I came downstairs and noticed a red spot on her side, like if something had bitten her or something. There is also small, thin, lines coming out of where the eggs should come out. I'll provide pictures but i apologize in advance if the pictures arnt that great
    Thanks! 20180525_104850.jpg 20180525_104900.jpg 20180525_104825.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

The pictures are pretty clear and I see what you mean about the white threads. I've a suspicion that it could be internal parasites. Almost sounds like callimanus worms but those are usually red threads, not white. The vent should not look red like that even if she were about to spawn, so there's something going on here.

I'd do some researching on callimanus worms and also check all the other fish for signs of parasites.

3. OP
    OP
    Emmanuel Gomez

Ah ok I shall do some digging around. You don't think it could be because she has had the eggs in her for so long? Cause none of the females have spawned. I'm worried about my danio as well cause she spawned a bit but it seems she hasn't released all the eggs

This is a better shot of her side 20180525_220057.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Emmanuel Gomez

Update: she passed away today in the morning. Going to see if I can get a medication to treat the tank so it doesmt happen again