Cherry barb fry, hatched in shrimp tank. ON ACCIDENT

SanDiegoRedneck

as some of you know i am trying to breed blue dream shrimp. As well as my cherry barbs are spawning.

I planned this week to make a spawning tank set-up for barbs but haven't, because they eat the eggs i think.

WELL I WAS CHECKING ON SHRIMP TODAY.

And saw this a fry. It must be cherry barb as i moved some java moss from cherry barb tank to the shrimp tank.

QUESTION

I have a tank w juvinile guppies, should i try to put him there? Is he gonna eat my shrimpletts? Or is he still to tiny?

**** such an awesome issue.

Attachments

Mhamilton0911

Aww! He is cute!! I had guppy fry in with shrimp until they were big enough to try to eat shrimp, then I moved them. My shrimp tank has so much bio film so the fry did really well.

SanDiegoRedneck

Mhamilton0911 said:
Aww! He is cute!! I had guppy fry in with shrimp until they were big enough to try to eat shrimp, then I moved them. My shrimp tank has so much bio film so the fry did really well.
I was still drinking my coffee, i thought i was tripping. It took a second to figure out where this magic fish came from.

Also what do you think. Maybe i should just switch java moss from barbs every few days to get some eggs. And just take moss to tank w other fry and let hatch.

Mhamilton0911

Yeah if you have enough to keep rotating, or see them deposit eggs on a clump. My shrimp tank was a good fry tank because of all the available food and 0 predators. But when they are big enough to eat shrimplets I moved mine, but with lots of adequate cover, the shrimplets will survive by hiding just fine.

SanDiegoRedneck

Mhamilton0911 said:
Yeah if you have enough to keep rotating, or see them deposit eggs on a clump. My shrimp tank was a good fry tank because of all the available food and 0 predators. But when they are big enough to eat shrimplets I moved mine, but with lots of adequate cover, the shrimplets will survive by hiding just fine.
Total i probably have a basketball amount of java moss. If i saw that one this morning im hoping there is more than one or more will hatch the shrimp tank is super thick w plants.

So hard to see what is really in there

Attachments

FishBoy101

It should be fine with that much java moss.

Flyfisha

How exciting it always is?
Be careful the breeding bug will bite you.
Moving moss is the same as moving a spawning mop. If we had an unlimited supply of fresh green moss we would not need acrylic wool spawning mops.

I have had rainbow eggs hatch 14 days after the mop was removed from the fish tank and just be sitting in a bucket in a warm room with an air stone. So suggest moss is not as versatile as an acrylic wool spawning mop.

I would let the fry have a free go at any day old shrimp, if they can catch a couple good luck to them.
Assuming you have more shrimp than you want?

tnrsmomma

I had the same thing happen with zebra danios! Moved some moss to the shrimp tank, a week later, magical mystery fry! Lol. I moved them when they seemed big enough to eat the shrimplets.

SanDiegoRedneck

Flyfisha said:
How exciting it always is?
Be careful the breeding bug will bite you.
Moving moss is the same as moving a spawning mop. If we had an unlimited supply of fresh green moss we would not need acrylic wool spawning mops.

I have had rainbow eggs hatch 14 days after the mop was removed from the fish tank and just be sitting in a bucket in a warm room with an air stone. So suggest moss is not as versatile as an acrylic wool spawning mop.

I would let the fry have a free go at any day old shrimp, if they can catch a couple go luck to them.
Assuming you have more shrimp than you want?
I think i will set up a cherry barb fry tank. Because i do want to breed the blue shrimp and just started. First pregnant female.

YellowGuppy

tnrsmomma said:
I had the same thing happen with zebra danios! Moved some moss to the shrimp tank, a week later, magical mystery fry! Lol. I moved them when they seemed big enough to eat the shrimplets.
I have a couple surprise goldfish fry - I transplanted some hornwort from a tank at work that I help care for, and all of a sudden my native species tank has a non-native species! They're big enough now that I could put them in my community tank, but not sure that I want to introduce them to such a controlled setting. It is a pretty cool problem to have, I'll admit!

20200618_141424.jpg

PS - The water is currently much cleaner than in the photo, now that I know something other than swamp critters is living in that tank!

SanDiegoRedneck

tnrsmomma said:
So we just found a cluster of eggs and i was able to collect witgout dropping. Now ill place piece of moss in shrimp tank

Attachments

Top Bottom