Cherry Barb Colors

Discussion in 'Cherry Barbs' started by Bilalscape12, Jul 12, 2015.

1. B

Bilalscape12 New Member Member

When I went to my LFS they had a few cherry barbs. But I was confused to why some cherry barbs were a nice dark red and others had a yellowish stripe on the body. So my question is why do they have diffenernt colors ranging from dark red to very bright colors?

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

The answer to your question is quite simple, really. The fish that were dark red are called Red Cherry Barb and the ones with the yellow stripe are called Cherry Barb.

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Females are also noticably lighter in color and males getter darker red during breeding.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I believe the male cherry barbs are the dark red colored ones and the female ones are the light colored ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I second that.

7. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Male cherry barbs are a brilliant red, while the females have more of a golden brown color. My suggestion is to make sure you get two females or more for every male.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with AB and LH.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Bilalscape12 New Member Member

Thanks for all the help guys :)

10. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Wow, I always thought they were just variations of the Cherry Barb, had no idea one was male and one was female. I had seem them in my LFS tanks labeled red cherry and just regular cherry. Interesting!

11. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I would suggest buying Cherries in groups of six or more, and keep the sex ratio even. Male Cherries are not that aggressive toward females, contrary to popular belief. They would rather display at the other males, to see who is most "macho".

The females have the tan body with the stripe, males are red. I have seen some super red strains where the male's red never fades out.

12. Plecomaker

Am i wrong in saying that this is actually pretty uncommon for most members of the barb family? Ithink most are moresimilar.

Yeah, we seem tobe getting those "super red" strains more often, notsure what i think about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  13. chromedome52

Actually, for most of the smaller barbs this is the more common behavior. A lot of sources generalize barbs based on the behavior of Tiger Barbs, which can be quite nasty. (this problem dates back even before I started keeping fish.)Tigers are, in fact, one of the exceptions, and most barbs are very non-aggressive. Of the 7 or 8 barb species I've had spawn, only the tiger male was mean toward the female. I never liked them, anyway.

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that's what I've heard, tiger barbs give the barb group a bad name.

15. Plecomaker

Not what i meant i was talking about dimorpic colo, lol,not agrresion. :)

16. chromedome52

Oh, duh. Yeah, most Barbs are not that strongly dimorphic except during breeding, and some not even then.

17. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you for this post. Thanks to you I had bought 4 males two weeks ago and was going back and forth between 4 more males or 4 females. Because of this post all my boys got a girlfriend yesterday. Thanks for posting the info, and the boys really thank you. :;hi1Alison

18. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

In my experience with my cherry barbs they show little to no aggression towards each other even if you have all males. I've seen almost no aggression and lots of great colors and displays in my all male population. The occasional chase but really either way, they are a great species of fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice