Cherries!

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I'm thinking of getting 6 cherry shrimp tomorrow for my 5g. My Ph is usually high but richiep said they could do it if I acclimate them really good.

My question is how do I do that? :rolleyes: I know you drip into the bag. But for how long? How much? Should I check the ph of the water in the bag to see how close it is?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
So I'm thinking of getting 6 cherry shrimp tomorrow for my 5 gallon. My Ph is usually high but richiep said they could do it if I acclimate them really good.

My question is how do I do that? :rolleyes: I know you drip into the bag. But for how long? How much? Should I check the ph of the water in the bag to see how close it is?
I'm fairly new to keeping shrimp, but most recommendations I've seen say 1 drop per second for at least 1-1/2 hours.

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the Phs match pretty good I really don't have to worry right?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That would be best and ask the store owner what his ph/kh/gh is just to see where you are to him. I don’t drip I like to leave the bag floating and add tank water to the bag every 15min or so for about an hour. But that’s me and ive been buying from this store for years so know it works. You may want to go longer. But I would do a minimum of an hour.

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everything else I just plop and drop nothing has died yet but Rummynose. But I don't want to kill these semI expensive lil buggers.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have zero luck with cherries. And I evwen put them in a bucket with their bag water and set up a gang valve contraption and dripped them for a good 1.5 hours and none lived more than 3-4 days and my parameters were all good as far as ph/gh/kh... I'm gonna try them again if I can find a better source than the big box stores... Good luck with yours!!

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
I have zero luck with cherries. And I evwen put them in a bucket with their bag water and set up a gang valve contraption and dripped them for a good 1.5 hours and none lived more than 3-4 days and my parameters were all good as far as ph/gh/kh... I'm gonna try them again if I can find a better source than the big box stores... Good luck with yours!!
I know mine will be hard. My ph is so high is what I'm mostly worried about. I just want something interesting in my 5 that won't eat fry if I put them in there....

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl15 said:
I know mine will be hard. My ph is so high is what I'm mostly worried about. I just want something interesting in my 5 that won't eat fry if I put them in there....
Do you have a GH/KH test kit? richie.p will be your go=to as far as finding the right parameters for your shrimp as well as many others here too i'm sure. You 5 has been running for a few months right? so it should be pretty well established to help them feed naturally off boifilm and whatnot.

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Do you have a GH/KH test kit? richie.p will be your go=to as far as finding the right parameters for your shrimp as well as many others here too i'm sure. You 5 has been running for a few months right? so it should be pretty well established to help them feed naturally off boifilm and whatnot.
I messaged richie earlier he said the ph can be done with a long acclimate. Maybe I will just get 2 to start. See how it goes.

Yes I do have a gh/kh test kit. I have a tds meter also. I forget what the readings were though. Hard water is what I remember most....lol

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started with 2 dripped them for almost 2 hours. I hope they live. He gave me a berried female!
20200310_173626.jpg
20200310_181241.jpg
20200310_181306.jpg

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The slower and longer you drip them the better. It’s just your ph that they need to acclimate to. I think I see that you already got them, don’t get to discouraged if they die. It’s not uncommon I always recommend that you get at least 10 to that even if the first round of adults don’t make it the will have had fry which in a lot of cases survive.

OP
StarGirl15

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
:(
20200314_161319.jpg

Boo. The male is still alive. I may be done with the Rcs journey.

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you'll get more cherries next time, I personally would recommend you to put them in a 5 L bucket and drip acclimate them for 5 hours or more with the rule of 1 drop per second. You may want to to use my method, but believe it or not, my all cherries survived being moved couple of times to different tanks and conditions.

New Threads