Cherries stop been berried?

LordGrim

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
14
I have been keeping cherries for about half a year now.
Started with 20 adults, now I have around 200-300 of them.
For the last month I didn't manage to see any berried female(I use to see them whenever I look at the tank daily) and the past 2 weeks I didn't even see any new born shrimps too.
Nothing changes, water parameters are the same, WC weekly and nothing new is place into the tank.
I am kinda of worry, my tank is around 14gallon (54litres), I doubt the population of the shrimps is too big for it.
Any ideas what may cause this? Thanks in advance.
 

fishsavvy

Active Member
Member
Messages
340
Reaction score
205
Experience
5 to 10 years
LordGrim said:
I have been keeping cherries for about half a year now.
Started with 20 adults, now I have around 200-300 of them.
For the last month I didn't manage to see any berried female(I use to see them whenever I look at the tank daily) and the past 2 weeks I didn't even see any new born shrimps too.
Nothing changes, water parameters are the same, WC weekly and nothing new is place into the tank.
I am kinda of worry, my tank is around 14gallon (54litres), I doubt the population of the shrimps is too big for it.
Any ideas what may cause this? Thanks in advance.
you have 200-300? Yeah, you are overstocked! 1 gallon for 10 shrimp is the thumb of rule. Think about either adding a fish to reduce the number or get a bigger tank. I am impressed though!
Edit: did you ever add more red shrimp to change up the DNA to avoid deformations, weak color, weak immune system, etc.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,347
Reaction score
15,058
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
AJE found he wasn't feeding them enough.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,713
Reaction score
3,986
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
This is my finest breeding tank a 39ltr 10 US gal I've taken 60 out today and I'd estimate well over 300 with just what your looking at without the babies and many berried so no one told mine about how many to have in one tank, this particular tank as been like this over 4years. Try feeding frozen bloodworm it helps with the reproductive system
 

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
4,641
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with feeding more + more protein. While cherries are known algae grazers they should have a bit of protein regularly.

Keep in mind with more food comes more waste, so possibly think about twice weekly water changes.
 

kered

Active Member
Member
Messages
215
Reaction score
166
richie.p Stangest looking cheries I have seen in a while

Sorry couln't resist, they look fabulous. BTW do you know Mark of marks aquatics? I like his channel and have learn a lot.
I have a tank that I put giveaway neo culls into and might change over and try some Caradines as I have never kept them before.
 

Sprinkle

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
652
Location
Bristol, United Kingdom
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:
I agree with feeding more + more protein. While cherries are known algae grazers they should have a bit of protein regularly.

Keep in mind with more food comes more waste, so possibly think about twice weekly water changes.
Yeah, I give my cherries few algae wafers daily. Quite a few as my fish go for them like crazy!
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,347
Reaction score
15,058
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Sprinkle said:
Yeah, I give my cherries few algae wafers daily. Quite a few as my fish go for them like crazy!
They need more then just algae wafers. Shrimp pellets have protein in them.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,713
Reaction score
3,986
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
kered said:
richie.p Stangest looking cheries I have seen in a while

Sorry couln't resist, they look fabulous. BTW do you know Mark of marks aquatics? I like his channel and have learn a lot.
I have a tank that I put giveaway neo culls into and might change over and try some Caradines as I have never kept them before.
Yes I walked into that one, Mark's aquatics is not far from me he dose some enjoyable videos and Mark's shrimp tanks is not really far but there's a small body of water between us again he dose some great videos
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
LordGrim

LordGrim

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
14
Thanks for the advice.
I don't really think its due to overpopulation. (I have attach some photos of my tank)
I guess I will try to feed more and see if there's any improvement.

Currently this is my feeding regime.
- every morning and evening, I pinch some fish food. (just tiny bits)
- every wed I will feed random 1 leaf of blanched vegetable or 2-3 slices of carrot/cucumber or broccoli.
- every sat 2 pallets of algae wafers

Usually the greens and wafers, they took around 24hrs to finish everything so I thought that's enough for them. I think I will increase another day with the greens and 1/2 or 1 more algae wafers on sat. Btw I have 4 ottos in the tank too, so they might have an increase appetite. :)
 

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,713
Reaction score
3,986
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
Try this its zucchinI deseeded cut into chunks ½ square and boil for 5minutes cool under cold water then drop half a dozen in at lights out, or try it during the day
 

Attachments

Sprinkle

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
652
Location
Bristol, United Kingdom
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
They need more then just algae wafers. Shrimp pellets have protein in them.
My cherries go also for fish poop but hey happend to just throw it and run away. They won't even touch shrimp pellets, they are disgusted by them, but my amanos throw themselves at once at one big fat pellet.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
LordGrim

LordGrim

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
14
It has been 4 days after increasing my feeding regime & I saw 2 berried female after 1 month of barren state. :)
I guess not feeding enough was the problem. Now I got to find a balance of not feeding too much so that the population of seed shrimp won't increase.
Thanks everyone for the advice!!
 

Attachments

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
If you run into the situation of too many shrimp for your liking you can always sell or trade them. It seems that RCS are the new in thing to have for aquatics so I don’t think you would have much of an issue getting ride of them. Good to hear they are doing the “shrimp thing” again.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
132
Guests online
2,242
Total visitors
2,374

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom