Cherax albidus blue pearl

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wanted my own thread.
In summary, purchased 1m 2f on 31/03/2020.
Had 2 escapees, one death (the only male). he was replaced on 07/04/2020.
All three have moulted since then, worried about them eating each other during moults.
They ate 3 mollies, 1 cherry barb and chewed cory tails, currently left with 2 cherry barbs and a baby molly, otherwise tank to them selves.
P4010062 - Copy.JPG

P4110134.JPG

Got their first feed of vegies today.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought you were only putting one in there if I read this on a different thread or I've got threads mixed in which case would have been OK but 3 is an all new problem in that tank, ideal for 3 would be bigger than 55gal, they will naturally pray on each other when they moult so hiding places are a must any time, and when they breed you will have even bigger problems as each female will have up to 40 or 50 young each time and they will start eating them as soon as they are free from mum. They dont generally hunt fish unless the fish are dying or they are really hungry so try feeding them a bit more if you can.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I could possibly put them in my 6ft native tank when their bigger, but that means I would have to loose the plants. either that or switch out my 2 smallest tanks for a 3ft.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they need the big tank to them selves as the can be aggressive and attack the other fish and plants

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept Cherax quadricarinatus with fish.
P4260334.JPG

I've also kept Cherax destructor with fish.
PB070418.JPG

At this stage I'm thinking a 3ft tank to themselves with lots of hides and artificial plants.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I came back from a few days away with family and came back to this,
P5190401 - Copy.JPG

One of my crays has lost a claw post molt, kinda disappointed.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He needs to be separated from the others or they will kill him ,you will also have to spot feed him or he will starve he looks like he's lost more than one claw, I did warn you this would happen

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coradee said:
If you’ve filled it in your location does show under your avatar
richiep said:
He needs to be separated from the others or they will kill him ,you will also have to spot feed him or he will starve he looks like he's lost more than one claw, I did warn you this would happen
Well I'm looking for a 90-100cm (2.95-3.28ft) all in one tank now. That's about as big as I can fit there. I have a 5ft and 6ft but they have live plants, and predators in the 6ft. The new tank would be replacing the 63L tank the crays are in and a 20 something + tank besides it. i'm having trouble finding the right tank right now.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The cray is fine now, I assume until next molt. He lost 1 leg on one side and 3 legs and a claw on the other side. I'm not sure if this is the 1 male I have or 1 of my 2 females.

Well as fine as you can be after your tank mates have attempted to eat you...

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've added 2 more hides and some bark, yet to sink.
I'm still worried even with a bigger tank. A youtuber I was watching yesterday caught a cray in the wild that was eating another cray and that was a massive lake.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well another crayfish has molted over night and seems to have avoided being eaten. I'm surprised I've had 5 molts from 3 crayfish in less than 2 months.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as they get older their moulting will be less frequent the fact they are moulting says their water is fine, just incase you don't know leave the old shell in for them to eat

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep I leave their old shell in their. I have breed crayfish before but they were Cherax quadricarinatus and in bigger tanks, I still had loses but they soon over run a 6ft tank.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You've been down this road before that's good, these should breed before long do you know if you have both sexes

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
woke up to tannins this morning
P5220428.JPG

Not sure if I'm liking it. I guess I can take that bark out if needed.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
richiep said:
You've been down this road before that's good, these should breed before long do you know if you have both sexes
There's 1m 2 f, I'm not sure which one was injured, I was hoping it wasn't the only male.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok after checking on the newest molt from getting up to going to bed thinking it had got past the cannibalism, but I woke up yesterday to a half eaten crayfish. Bugger, this tank is turning out to be a disaster, anymore molts and I will be separating until shell has hardened (does anyone know how long that takes?) I think I have 1 female full legs and claws, and 1 male missing 3 legs and a claw on one side. I not wanting to invest in a larger tank if its going to get down to one. My best hope is they breed sometime soon and ill raise the babies. I'm wondering if the male is up to breeding with his missing appendages, I think the male gets on top and turns the female over to breed? is this true?

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
qldmick said:
Ok after checking on the newest molt from getting up to going to bed thinking it had got past the cannibalism, but I woke up yesterday to a half eaten crayfish. Bugger, this tank is turning out to be a disaster, anymore molts and I will be separating until shell has hardened (does anyone know how long that takes?) I think I have 1 female full legs and claws, and 1 male missing 3 legs and a claw on one side. I not wanting to invest in a larger tank if its going to get down to one. My best hope is they breed sometime soon and ill raise the babies. I'm wondering if the male is up to breeding with his missing appendages, I think the male gets on top and turns the female over to breed? is this true?
The male will flip the female and pin her claws with his. I don’t have experience with breeding, so hopefully someone will pop in to give some insight on the plausibility of breeding with a missing claw.

It really would be best to separate or get a larger tank. As for separating after molting, you will either need to figure out who molted through behaviors (or molt structure in the case of the male) or separate all individuals from each other.

OP
qldmick

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male molted the other day, I managed to pull him out and separate them before he could get eaten. Hes regrown his legs and a half size claw.
P7070601.JPG

P7070604.JPG

New Threads