chemistry people, I really need you. pH puzzling me

armadillo

Hello everyone

I have a pH of 8.0 out of the tab and would prefer not having to temper with that.

Once in a while, I need to medicate my fish (e.g. my betta has finrot right now), and I was always told to UNDERmedicate quite drastically with my high pH, as it made any substances more toxic. I went to a LFS I kind of trust, and he told me that it's with pH under 7.0 that you need to undermedicate, and that if your pH is over 7.0, you need to overmedicate.

So I checked it on the internet and the only thing I have found that was reasonable information was that with substances, like ammonia, become more toxic with a high pH, while others become more toxic in acidic water.

So my question is: can I determine whether a substance is more or less toxic with high pH just from the molecule's name alone? What is the principle behind pH - toxicity relationship in terms of chemistry? I mean, is it to do with H atoms, or what?

I am sooooo confused. So, chemistry bods, get your lapcoats out and jump to my rescue, LOL.

capekate

HI Armadillo,
Well.. I failed chemistry.. so I'm no help here, just wanted to say that I sure hope there is someone out there that has the answer for you! ;D
~ kate

COBettaCouple

chemistry.. me no know that word!

i'd be interested to know the answers to that myself.

sgould

I found an article saying that it depends on the specific medication...some work better in higher pH, others work better with lower pH. Here is a link to the article:

armadillo

he he he. Thanks Kate. I took a biiig risk asking that question. My head is about to s.p.i.n.

I also scored miserably at chemistry, LOL.
HI Armadillo,
Well.. I failed chemistry.. so I'm no help here, just wanted to say that I sure hope there is someone out there that has the answer for you! ;D
~ kate

armadillo

OK, just read it. Thank you so much for that article. Priceless. Finally a good explanation in plain English about antibiotics vs. antibacterial, and finally an explanation about the famous gram-negative/positive.

It also lists the mutually ineffective, or even toxic, drugs, as well as each drug's reaction to pH.

Thanks again, SGould. Really interesting stuff.

I found an article saying that it depends on the specific medication...some work better in higher pH, others work better with lower pH. Here is a link to the article:

COBettaCouple

I didn't do so hot in chemistry myself.. that link is a good one & we're adding it to our fish bookmarks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Poseidontheaxolotl
  • pH
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory
Replies
Views