Chemicals for the US tank.

RogueAgent94

Hello,

I'm just doing some research on Western chemicals for my future tank and would like some help. I'll have a lot of questions along the way as I see more haha.

First of all. Which is better, Prime or Tetra's AquaSafe Plus, as a water conditioner? Tetra is cheaper which is advantageous but I was a good water conditioner as the water here has a lot of chlorine in it. No idea about ammonia, nitrite, nitrate's though as I haven't tested the water yet. I can smell the chlorine though.

Secondly, is ordering the API Master Test kit online good? I found one at Petsmart for almost $40 but it looked a bit small and not like the full thing. Where is a good place to order from?

Off topic but are External Canister filters like sumps? Can I heat the water in them?

Any suggestions for chemicals/meds I may or will need would be helpful. Also good places to order them from online would be great. I have one petsmart two hours away from me so that's not too exciting.

x

Sharkdude

Prime is my choice because a $10 bottle last me with the 9 tanks in my house for about two months.

I would say don't order the test kit online as you want to be able to see the expiration date.

API General cure is the only meds I would keep on hand at all times. Or penicillin if you can find it, my lfs sells it for $20 a bottle of I think 30 pills.

They kinda do but don't at he same time. You can buy an online heater for them to hide it and you can load them with sponges and bio ceramics. Depending on which one your looking at will tell you what you can do to it. I prefer Fluval ones myself.

catsma_97504

I too use Prime. A small capful treats 50G water, so it lasts a very long time. Plus if your tap happens to have any nitrogen waste, it will help to detox it as well.

I order many supplies from Drs Foster & Smith Aquatics. Their website is .

As for the test kit, I usually purchase individual kits instead of the master kit. I know I have soft water with low pH, so the high pH kit is a waste to me. Currently DFS has the Master kit on sale for $19.19 and if you order at least $49 in products shipping is free too.

I cannot discuss sumps as I have very little experience with them. But, as you are probably already aware, there is a multitude of options for filtration. I know many have taken a 30G tank and added a water pump, heater, etc and made their own sump set up. With your background, I'm sure you will come up with something.

Have fun planning and setting up your new tank!

Lexi03

I use prime, compared to the amount you need to use I find it cheaper, plus my tap has ammonia in it. I purchased my API master test kit at petsmart, it contained ammonia, nitrite, nirate, ph, and high range ph. I payed about $40.00 for mine too. I love my Ehiem canister filter, but no way to put a heater in it the canister itself has to be sealed closed to work. (There is a rubber gasket around the lid)

Aquarist

Good morning,

I use Amquel + in combination with Nova Aqua +. I get them in 1 gallon jugs at PetCo! Have used them for many years. If you are a PetCo Pals member, then they send you coupons and have sales and that is when I usually make my purchases. No shipping fees

Ken

RogueAgent94

Thanks for the fast replies!

Okay so it looks like Prime will be my best bet.

I looked some more for the testing kit and it is looking like I'll have to order it online because I can't find anything nearby. The one I found was a little 3in by 5in box that had 6 bottles in it and that was it. Shouldn't I get test tubes and everything with it?

It looks like building a sump would also be better than trying to find an alternative. I have built dozens of sumps before but I have no idea how to build on in the US! LOL.

Oh well off to research

LyndaB

Go to Kensfish.com for all of your fish supply needs. We always get our shipment the next day, even though we don't pay for overnight delivery. His customer service is outstanding. My husband recently ordered an incorrect part for our python. He called Ken to ask about it and Ken sent him the correct part without charging him for it. The guy is amazing. If you can't find it at Ken's, you probably don't need it.

Lexi03

RogueAgent94 said:
Thanks for the fast replies!

Okay so it looks like Prime will be my best bet.

I looked some more for the testing kit and it is looking like I'll have to order it online because I can't find anything nearby. The one I found was a little 3in by 5in box that had 6 bottles in it and that was it. Shouldn't I get test tubes and everything with it?

It looks like building a sump would also be better than trying to find an alternative. I have built dozens of sumps before but I have no idea how to build on in the US! LOL.

Oh well off to research
Mine came in a 5 x7 inch tray with 4 test tubes and a chart oh and 7 bottles.

blasto172

while you can't put a traditional heater in a canister, if you do decide to go with one Hydor makes a heater that connects into the canisters output line. I have the 300 watt model on my penn plax cascade 1200 on my 55 gall. tank. The heater works flawlessly, maintaining the set temp within a degree. About the only complaint I have is the heater will make an audible click when it turns on. Doesn't both me but it might for some. petsoultions.com has them for 50 (200 watt) and 55 (300 watt), got my heater and filter from them, great prices and quick shipping (free with a 100 dollar order or more).

RogueAgent94

Thanks Blasto172! That helps a lot. What sort of canister filter do you have?

Sharkdude

I love petsolutions! I ordered most of my equipment for my 125 there.

RogueAgent94

Bookmarked! Haha I really need some good online stores that I can get stuff from.

Oh! I went to a pet store about an hour away from me and saw a 180g! Included heaters, pumps, qt tank (10g), filters, hood, lights, stand, net, and some other stuff for $780! I dunno if that was a good deal but it was awful tempting. Hehe I came home and tried to figure out where I could fit it in LOL. Only place that was large enough was my basement but I'd have to carry it all the way down there. Oh I also saw some clown loaches that were 1/2in long. They were very cute.

Alessa

Tetra Safe Start, Prime, Vitachem, Garlic Guard... All of them staple things I keep in my fish cabinet. I consider Prime superior but I also keep Stress Coat in hand - Prime, because it is really potent and will get rid of any chlorine/neutralize ammonia, Stress Coat because it has the aloe in it to repair the slime coat and help with stress.

I usually go to dr.fostersmith .com for my online fish supplies, mostly vitachem which I have a hard time finding at the store.

psalm18.2

I have this filter and love it.

It came w/ 4 trays full of media.
is a great website to buy from. There are auctions and flat prices.

RogueAgent94

Thanks! Keep 'em coming haha. I'm having a field day with bookmarks haha.

ppate1977

So contrary to what you originally thought, you are looking to set up a tank! Lol, I knew it Jonathan. Hehe. I use prime due to its strong concentration and always great results. I used to use the combo Ken uses, but needed to buy too much product.

If you get that large tank and want an adult Jaguar or JD just pm me. I'll give you my ph #. I'm a state away.

ppate1977

Btw, also look on craigslist.com you can get used tanks for pennies on the dollar.

I also always keep an extra bio wheel loaded if you need seeded media. Welcome to the states.

blasto172

Its the penn plax cascade 1200

djsmiley2k

The 6 bottles in the tray is the correct test kit, should have a card in it showing the meanings of the colours, an instruction book and 4 test tubes + lids. Any good store should let you check its all their or show you it properly imo. - Ask to check the dates on the bottles!

RogueAgent94

Haha Ppate, I've heard that perseverance is 9/10ths of winning anything. So perhaps it works with tanks ;D. I have a pretty good chance of getting a tank it's just the wait to go and trying to find a good place to fit a decent sized one. Unless your JD will live with Angels, I doubt he'll come to my tank! Haha. Do you think you could even ship media? Thanks for the welcome! It's nice to be here.

Blasto - Do you think your heater would fit on this canister filter?

Thanks DJsmiley!

RogueAgent94

I found an LFS in the town that I live in! Haha it isn't a bad pet store. Alright but not as nice as I'd hope haha. Anyway I talked to the lady in charge about ordering some chemicals like Prime and such. She said that she had a really good chemical that she used in her tanks. It's called SmartStart Complete. Supposedly like TetraSafeStart. I wrote down what it said on the bottle so here it is -

Instant Cycling - One dose instantly cycles a new aquarium or problem tank. Even chronic ammonia or nitrite problems are solved in 24 hours. DOSE: 1 oz per 10g, then switch to maintenance.

Routine Maintenance - One small but powerful weekly dose keeps and aquarium fully cycled, digests sludge, and maintains perfect biological balance. DOSE: 1oz per 40g, weekly.

Fights Algae- Eliminates pea-soup and hair algae problems without use of chemicals. DOSE: 1oz per 20g, weekly until solved, then switch to maintenance.

Now what I don't like about it is the weekly maintenance. This makes me think that it's land based bacteria. Any thoughts?

Sharkdude

I agree, sounds like its not worth using.

RogueAgent94

Sneeky companies making bad products. Hmph. I'll just order some TetraSafeStart.

catsma_97504

Agreed. Not the right type of bacteria. Also, I'd be concerned with what else is in there to back up the claI'm to fight algae.

Latest threads

Top Bottom