Chemical Filtration with Liquid Fertilizers

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been using Thrive+ in my 55 gallon planted for about a month or so. I'm now seeing a lot of opinions of using activated carbon in a planted aquarium with fertilizers. Some say that the carbon removes much of the positive aspects of the fertilizers while others state that the plants absorb the nutrients faster than the carbon.

I'm ok taking the carbon out of my aquarium and keeping it on hand in case I have to remove medications or if I start to get a smell. However, I'm also looking into Fluval Clearmax. I've been having some issues with high nitrates, which Clearmax is supposed to help with. I've also added some floating plants, but they're going to take awhile to propogate. Does anyone know if Clearmax interferes with liquid fertilizers?

OP
Drewbacca

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I spoke with the makers of Thrive, and they say that activated carbon has little to no affect on their liquid fertilizers. He did say that he’d be very cautious with something like that claims to remove nutrients, although he’s not familiar with Clearmax. It removes nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates. I wonder if that would be bad for using fertilizers.

New Threads