chelated copper and carbon filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by bleedingheartmommy, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bleedingheartmommy

bleedingheartmommy Valued Member Member

So I'm treating my betta Orchid with chelated copper, I know it doesn't affect the biological filter, but they say fresh carbon will remove copper. So take carbon filter out and leave PF running...my obvious question becomes....

If I take the carbon filter out won't my cycle crash?!? I don't want the carbon to remove my meds, wich my filter is NOT fresh carbon it's several months old...but I know my nitrate colony's live in there. I'm confused. Any input?

2. OP
    OP
    bleedingheartmommy

And an additional question, how often should you change the carbon filter in a power filter. I have heard not to be just rinse the gunk out cause of the good bacteria lives there?

3. S

Sticks New Member Member

In your profile it says you have a HOB carbon filter. I don't know what brand but if it is like most HOB filters the cartridges are constructed with a plastic frame with that is partially filled with carbon with filter floss glued to the plastic frame keeping the carbon in.

You can pull the floss away from the top of the frame and dump your carbon out or you can use scissors or side cutters to cut away some of the plastic to access the carbon for removal.

When I use carbon I change it out about once a month.

4. OP
    OP
    bleedingheartmommy

Do I remove carbon from bag and leave the bag in the power filter to ensure I don't disrupt the biological filter (nitrates). I have hob power filter-Tetra whisper 10 in my 5.5 gal tank.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice