Cheeky Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nad

Reaction score
Hi - we recently purchased 3 female and 1 male betta - my concern is that the one female betta keeps biting the males tail (the other two leave him alone) - I have separted her from the rest of the tank as he appears to be terrified of her! He is very content until she bites him then he darts across the tank and hides !! Will she stop or will I have to remove her from the tank all together? Also he is so friendly and always comes to see you should you open the tank lid - its as if he wants to be touched - he literally can't get close enough to your hand should you put it in the tank - however we are scared to touch him as we are afraid to hurt him - is this normal behaviour? thanks for your help. Nad

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to advise you to be very careful...there is often aggression between male and female except if they are ready to breed. You might want to have an extra tank (doesn't have to be huge but say 2.5 g) just in case. If they seem okay, fair enough.

Some bettas really are friendly, my last one was. My current one is a bit dubious about me, he's definitely curious and interested but he is mostly a greedy tough guy.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I should tell you that females and males should never be kept in the same tank ever unless they are ready to breed and in my opinion the breeding of bettas is best left to those who have the correct equipment and space to do it. I would advise you to get another tank and get the females (all of them) seperated from the male right away so you can avoid them injuring each other. If they should become ready to spawn no only could they kill each other but the other females as well. I am so sorry to be so blunt but this is a very serious matter.

The male can be kept in a small tank for a VERY short time until suitable circumstances can be lined up but the important thing right now is to get them seperated.

Rose

Nad

Reaction score
Hi thanks very much for coming back to me and for the advise. They all seem to be getting along at the moment but I will take your advice and put them into different tanks! I would hate it if something bad happened. Thanks again much appreicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom