Cheeky, cheeky fry!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
OK, so I found lots of really tiny platy fry in my tank yesterday. Am thinking this has to be my last batch as I only have females and I've had them for 2 months or so now. Anyways, I put them in the nursery tank with 1 month-old and 2 week-old molly fry. Didn't the molly fry start giving chase and nipping at them? Now they ignore the food I give them as they find hunting more entertaining! Grrrrrr. The cheek. Don't they realise the irony?

OP
armadillo

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh well that's good news, as I love platy fry. It's so much tinier than molly fry I was amazed. Mind you, my molly never give birth to that many fry, but they tend to be quite large. I don't think that's typical of mollies, just mine. No idea why.

But am pretty sore that this second batch got eaten, and I could only find 2 of the first batch. Ah well, we'll see. It was a lovely surprise.

Watch out for more fry, LA. The Platies may continue dropping for another 2-4 months. They can store sperm for around 6 months, I do believe.

Congrats on the fry!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the guppy and platy fry seem to be nearly the same size. i think we have pregnant endlers now, so we'll see how tiny their fry are. ;D they're all such cute little mini-fish though.

OP
armadillo

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh cool. I didn't know you had endlers! My brother in law have them too. We're trying to teach them a little about minimum temperature, overstocking, etc. but we have a lot of 'it's just a fish' cultural barriers to overcome.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, we got 3 males and 4 females at the fish auction in october. 1 male died for unknown reasons, but the other 2 males are fully colored and at least 2 of the females are starting to look pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom