Checking to see if rocks alter my pH.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by flyin-lowe, Apr 8, 2010.

1. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I was reading a thread on another forum and a member was having issues with his pH rising. A couple people recommended that he use pH down to test the rocks. They said something about placing it on the rocks and if it starts to fizz then the rock will alter the pH in your tank.
    The pH in my tank is on the rise and I would like to know if there is a way to test the rocks and find out which ones might be causing my problem. I had some rocks that I think were limestone and I took them out. The others I am using to hold down three pieces of driftwood, but if there is a way to find rocks that won't alter the pH I would love to get it down a little. My tap water test 7.4-7.6 and my tank test 8.4

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Vinegar works for that. It will fizz. :)

Below is a link to a great article on pH.

3. OP
    OP
    f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

The person that originally brought up this topic mentioned vinegar and the person who mentioned the pH down stated that vinegar was not strong enough to be a reliable test. I might go ahead and try it, if I just pour some vinegar over the individual rock and it starts to fizz that means this rock could be contributing to the higher pH??? Correct?

4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

that is correct

5. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

If you want a more reliable test and have an API master or nitrite test kit, the nitrite #2 bottle contains hydrochloric acid, which should give a much stronger reaction that vinegar would.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice