Checking Out Some Craig's List Tanks on Saturday...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cm11599ps, Mar 24, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Just found the following listing.

10 gallon fish tank, hood, light, filter, heater----$50
    29 gallon fish tank oak trim and stand, hood, light, filter, heater----$80
    46 gallon bow front fish tank oak trim and stand filter and heter---$110
    50 gallon tank only holds half full of water---$20
    75 gallon tank oak trim and stand and light---$100
    90 gallon tank with stand and light---$100
    150 gallon tank cherry trim and custom cherry finish stand heaters and filters and light----$325

I'm interested in the 46 for myself to start a SW. The filter is an AC 110. The 10 gallon might be a purchase for my father in law. He loves looking at my 55. The 29 might be for my niece. Her birthday is in July so I might hold on to it till then. The guy said the 29 was really nice.

I can't see anything till Saturday so I'll report back then.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds cool! Let us know what you do :)
    Carol

3. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh sounds good :D

(Dang it now you've gone and got me on Kijiji :p)

4. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Wow that's alot of tanks for some good prices

5. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I know, we'll see how it goes. I'm a little worried that I get there and the tanks aren't in the best of shapes, but I keep telling myself that someone with those size and amount of tanks wouldn't abuse the tanks.

2.5 more days and I'll know for sure. lol

6. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful prices and deals! Can't wait to hear from you. Hope you'll be able to get some pics of them. Keep us posted :;hf

7. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I've never bought used tanks before. Is there anything I should be looking out for and concerned about? Any questions I should be asking?

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you should ask whether they hold water first of all. Resealing isn't hard but at those prices (although they are good) I would not want to reseal. If the seller is unsure, ask for a leak test. Visually inspect the silicone and look for damaged seals. They are easy to see. Also, you may want to bring a tape measure, or ask the seller for specific dimensions. A lot of times, I've found that sellers may not know exactly what they have. My hubby bought a 75 one time that turned out to be a 55. The price was good of course, but it would have been a way better deal for a 75.

9. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Any other tips before going? Today's the day.

10. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Make sure to ask them what they used to clean it or how they cleaned the tank. I've met some sellers who used soap to clean their tanks before selling them and you know how soap is dangerous to our fishies. So yeah, better to take that in mind too IMO. Best of luck! :;hf

11. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

Grab that 90g!! :)

$50 is too expensive for the 10g though...you can get a brand new one from Walmart for $35 (with filters and stuff). 29g is a little on the pricey side as well. I say grab that 46 and the 90!

12. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I was thinking about getting the 46, 29 and 10 and see if he could knock the price down for multiple purchases.

Here's my current 55.

262.jpg

I was just talking to my wife about the tanks and she mentioned she'd rather have one large tank instead of two semi-large (a 55 and 46) in the same room. She also said she'd rather have a bigger tank to fill up the gaps on either side of the current tank. lol

It stinks the 90 is probably the same width as my 55 because then that would be perfect. The 150 may be TOO wide for the area, plus it's on the second floor of the house so I don't know how I feel about putting all that weight there. I'm pretty sure the floor beams run along the width of the tank and not front to back which would probably mean less support too.

13. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

OK, just got back with 3 new (used) tanks! lol

I picked up the 10 gallon. It has lights, heater, AC filter, and gravel.

I picked up the 29. It has gravel, matching oak trim as tank, hood, light filter and heater.

I picked up the 46 bowfront. It has a nice oak stand, light, heater and AC filter.

It all came to $200.

I plan on getting rid of some of my current stock and putting the rest in the 46 bowfront.

I plan on converting my 55 to SW and keeping the 10 under my 55 as a QT.

I may give the 29 to my neice for her birthday in July. We'll see about that. If I keep it I have no plans for it.

The 150 was still for sale but I didn't feel comfortable with it being up on my 2nd floor running parallel with the floor joists. He had the 150 on the 2nd floor but it was perpendicular to the floor joists.

None of these will be setup for some time because I have other projects going on right now.

14. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

155 for 325? not bad at all. LFS sells a 125 brand new for 325.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice