Check Valves Did I do it right?

mastersafara

Did I install these properly? One is connected using a gang valve. Do I need these based on my set ups? I heard you only need them if the pump is lower than the tank. Most of my pumps are even with the tanks... The check valves has significantly reduced the air pressure to the air stones.

Attachments

• 53F9CD9F-10B8-4E90-90DF-A025C61245CE.jpeg
    53F9CD9F-10B8-4E90-90DF-A025C61245CE.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 1F7880F7-470C-4755-AB6D-EBCEF551622D.jpeg
    1F7880F7-470C-4755-AB6D-EBCEF551622D.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 42691815-025D-4589-9A3B-E6916EB76264.jpeg
    42691815-025D-4589-9A3B-E6916EB76264.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 75

SaltyPhone

Boy howdy I’ve messed that one up before. Some are defective some are installed wrong. The only check valve I really use is on my co2 rig. Easy way to tell is blow through both ends on the check valve. If there is no give on either end it’s defective. If air travels through one end you know which direction to install it.

Sanderguy777

Boy howdy I’ve messed that one up before. Some are defective some are installed wrong. The only check valve I really use is on my co2 rig. Easy way to tell is blow through both ends on the check valve. If there is no give on either end it’s defective. If air travels through one end you know which direction to install it.
I thought it was just me... LOL

Yes, you do need them. Once I wondered what all the fuss was about and later found about 2 ounces of water on the floor after just a minute of playing with an airstone.

What the "below the tank" saying SHOULD be is: "below the water level." If you don't want to have to worry about that problem, just put the pump above the water level (not where it can fall into the water though ).

mattgirl

Did I install these properly? One is connected using a gang valve. Do I need these based on my set ups? I heard you only need them if the pump is lower than the tank. Most of my pumps are even with the tanks... The check valves has significantly reduced the air pressure to the air stones.
You done good Without one installed a power outage would have allowed water to siphon back into and through your air pump. I agree with Sanderguy777 The instructions should say above the water line instead of even with the tank. All of my air pumps are situated much like yours is.

I have check valves on each of mine along with a control valve for each sponge filter. Doing so allows me to control the amount of air going to each filter. I've never had much luck controlling the air when using gang valves so just use a separate control valve for each thing with air line running to it.

mastersafara

You done good Without one installed a power outage would have allowed water to siphon back into and through your air pump. I agree with Sanderguy777 The instructions should say above the water line instead of even with the tank. All of my air pumps are situated much like yours is.

I have check valves on each of mine along with a control valve for each sponge filter. Doing so allows me to control the amount of air going to each filter. I've never had much luck controlling the air when using gang valves so just use a separate control valve for each thing with air line running to it.
Thanks. The only reason I used a gang valve is because 1 I had it lying around and 2 the 2 tanks I’m running air to are so close together. Now the problem is the air pump I have supplying them is only rated for up to 15 gallons so I have to get a bigger pump now.

mattgirl

Thanks. The only reason I used a gang valve is because 1 I had it lying around and 2 the 2 tanks I’m running air to are so close together. Now the problem is the air pump I have supplying them is only rated for up to 15 gallons so I have to get a bigger pump now.
To be perfectly honest I've never even checked out what size tank my air pumps are designed for. I just buy whatever suits my fancy and they've always worked on whatever size tank I use them on. Maybe mine are not powerful enough and that is why gang valves don't work well for me. I really hadn't thought about that until just this minute. Right now I have 3 dual sponge filters running on one fluval air pump and 2 air stones running on a no name pump. They both seem to be doing all I need them to do though.

mastersafara

To be perfectly honest I've never even checked out what size tank my air pumps are designed for. I just buy whatever suits my fancy and they've always worked on whatever size tank I use them on. Maybe mine are not powerful enough and that is why gang valves don't work well for me. I really hadn't thought about that until just this minute. Right now I have 3 dual sponge filters running on one fluval air pump and 2 air stones running on a no name pump. They both seem to be doing all I need them to do though.
I think the rating of the pump is probably usually not a problem given tank size, but after I installed the check valve, I believe that is what caused the reduced the power in the lines. The check valve actually reduced the amount of air flow and hence the amount of bubbles that come out of the air stone. Or so I think. Only solution, higher rated pump. Like I said before the pumps I’m using now are rated for 5-15 gallons and I was using them on as high as 20 gallon tanks and didn’t have a problem because this was before I installed the check valve into the line. Once I installed the check valve, my air power went down. So I'm gonna but the tetra whispers that are rated for up to 40 gallons. Should be plenty of power to push past the check valve. If you’re getting what you want out of your setup, then there’s no reason to change anything. Only reason I have to get higher rated pumps now is simply because I’m not getting enough power out of the ones I have.

qldmick

if your air ine falls our your still gonna have water on the floor, this happened to me. instead I now keep my check valve just above the water in the hood.

Sanderguy777

I think the rating of the pump is probably usually not a problem given tank size, but after I installed the check valve, I believe that is what caused the reduced the power in the lines. The check valve actually reduced the amount of air flow and hence the amount of bubbles that come out of the air stone. Or so I think. Only solution, higher rated pump. Like I said before the pumps I’m using now are rated for 5-15 gallons and I was using them on as high as 20 gallon tanks and didn’t have a problem because this was before I installed the check valve into the line. Once I installed the check valve, my air power went down. So I'm gonna but the tetra whispers that are rated for up to 40 gallons. Should be plenty of power to push past the check valve. If you’re getting what you want out of your setup, then there’s no reason to change anything. Only reason I have to get higher rated pumps now is simply because I’m not getting enough power out of the ones I have.
Exactly! The gallon rating on air pumps is about as helpful as the one on filters... not at all LOL (though some pumps like the tetra 150 and 300 are made specifically for deeper tanks so the rating at least attempts to means something
Check valves do reduce power, but I've always had trouble with longer air stones too.

Tetra Whisper pumps are the best affordable choice I've had longterm experience with. Hygor seems good too, but I've only had mine 3 weeks. (There won't be any replacement parts for cheaper pumps most likely either.)

If all of you tanks are on the same wall, I'd get a tetra 300 or something similar (look at the actual output pressure and volume, not gallon ratings). That will run anything you want and probably 2 more tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
TheBettaSushi
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics