Check Valves and CO2

1. Schuyler93 Member Member

I have another question that I can't find a straight or accurate answer to on Google about CO2.

I have the Fluval 88G kit and have a Check Valve between the diffuser and the bubble counter. I did not realise I would need one until I turned it off one night went to bed and woke up turned it on and seen all the water being pushed back through from the pressure of the CO2.

Now this morning I noticed my bubble counter was nearly emptied and water had gotten into the line between the regulator and bubble counter. My question is would this damage my regulator and should I put a check valve between the reg and bubble counter or will two Check Valves reduce the pressure to much?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. martini4 Member Member

Are you using a DIY setup or pressurized co2?

Edit: just looked up the fluval 88g. What if you just moved the check valve so it's between the regulator and bubble counter? I feel like that would give you a more accurate bubble count and prevent water from backing up into the regulator. I'm not an expert, though, just a thought.

3. Schuyler93 Member Member

I'm not really sure, but I could try it, I wonder if when I shut the co2 off at night if I unscrewed the bubble counter to release the pressure if it would stop it from going into the regulator line.

I'm just extremely worried I'm going to wreck this thing lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. aniroc Well Known Member Member

It is because of the negative pressure it creates once you turn off the regulator. It also happens when the cylinder is empty.
    It doesn't seem to wreck the regulator though.
    I tried another check valve and did not help.