Check Valve Issue?

Fishcat

I got an air pump (Tetra Whisper) and a sponge filter for my ten gallon tank. Hooked everything up. Plugged in pump. Pump works, but no air appears to be getting through. I installed the valve with the side marked “in” towards the pump; then I took it off and tried it the other way; I tried blowing through it and couldn’t get air to go through in either direction.
The valve is an Imagitarium - what they had at Petco. Am I missing something very basic about using these things? I am new to sponge filters, but I assume that there should be some bubbles happening if everything is working right.

w3amz

Its likely you got a defective valve. I never use the valves that come with the air pump or box because they are normally very low quality compared to the ones you can get for $2.

Fishcat

Should I be able to blow air through it easily if it’s a good valve? I mean, there’s not a trick to this that I’m missing, is there?
Arrrrrgggghh. I was hoping not to drive back to Petco for a stupid check valve. Is there a brand you’ve had good luck with?

w3amz

Yes. Nope you aren't missing anything. I've had defective check valves before too. That's why I don't trust the ones that come in a kit. Any name brand valve will be reliable for many years.

Fishcat

Thanks for your help. This is just annoying when I’m itching to get this tank going.

Fishcat

Problem solved, though it took a ridiculously long time to exchange the valve. Everything is bubbling away nicely now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
TheBettaSushi
  • Question
Replies
Views
CTYankee79