check this out beginners!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by melovefish, Dec 20, 2012.

1. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

tell me if you like or if its wrong!

2. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

i don't see anything extremely wrong other than this-
    What you have to do is add one to two hardy fish, hardy meaning that there not as delicate other fish. After 2-4 weeks test your to make sure you have cycled your tank. If your aquarium hasen't cycled any fish you add will most likly die the first night.

the first 1-2 fish aren't going to die because they were in there first?, and you should be testing once per day NOT after 2-4 weeks. sigh, some people.
    and also the goldfish comment, other than the heater everything seems to be fine with me.

3. OP
    OP
    m

YOU READ IT WRONG! "sigh some" whats that sopused to mean

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Tell us how he read it wrong... because frankly I agree with fishfanatic

5. OP
    OP
    m

okay, explain to me whats wrong i said nothing about goldfish. and are you saying that you dont need a heater?
    and the testing its my opinion i think when cycling its not needed to test daily, i think it should be down like twice a week. im sorry im trying be mean or start somthing its just thats my opinoin and maybye it should be daily. but thats my opinoin> sorry my last comment shouldnt of been said sorry. i didnt mean anything by it.

6. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Try to do a cycle without fish if you can, it damages them irreparably

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Well I think he was just suggesting goldfish as a hardy fish, it is most commonly used for cycling a tank. And goldfish are cold water fish so having a heater while cycling with them is unneeded. I agree with daily testing as you could have a cycle one minute and think YAY!!! Time to add fish then the next everyone is dead and your cycle was lost, its known as a false cycle (I think)

8. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

When doing fish in cycling, water needs to be checked daily and 50% changed daily to keep ammonia down. All new water needs to be treated with Prime. Just my opinion though.

9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Here's my critique:
    - Spelling and grammar needs improvement.
    - There are contradictory statements about air pumps. IMO air pumps are not required in any setup.
    - If you shop smart, kits are actually more expensive, and often the filters are under-rated and harder to customise later. But, they are generally more pleasing aesthetically.
    - All fish need something special..... proper maintenance and water quality. Neon Tetras and Cory's can be particularly sensitive to parameters.
    - Cycling. IMO - Wherever possible, one should aspire to cycle their tank fishless. Knowingly subjecting fish to a cycle is not a responsible way to cycle a tank. If one is too impatient to cycle fishlessly, then a bacteria supplement such as Tetra Safe Start should be used.
    - I didn't see any mention of a water dechlorinator/conditioner :;sh
    - Testing while cycling, IMO, should be performed daily, especially if doing a fish-in cycle. Along with daily water changes. Once cycled, testing once a week or every other week is a good regime.
    - Add to the list for a basic setup.... a test kit, preferably liquid.
    - Thermometer? (preferably glass)
    - Water change equipment (siphon/gravel vac, buckets)?

And if I'm being particularly critical, I'd credit the source of the image used. Too, a 20G would be a better option. 10G stocking options are somewhat limited.

A linkback to Fishlore would also be nice ;) Please read Fishlore Rules #5 and #6 https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/forum-announcements-suggestions/227-fishlore-forum-rules.html

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I think it fails to mention what fish a tank can hold. For instance if you had a 10 gallon tank you wouldn't go out and get gold fish and a Oscar.

It needs to mention that a cycled tank is most important but researching what fish can go in to what x gallon tank and compatibility issues. There are a lot of first timers that will buy a fish that doesn't necessary go with the other fish, like a gold fish and an Oscar.

The blog starts at buying materials and cycling but than it stops with a recommendation. People are going to think well what happens now?

11. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

you are completely right. i was at school, i was probably reading it kinda faster than normal. my apologies. when i said some people i was not directing it at you, what i was aiming at was some people do not know about the way to fishless cycle (i know i didn't). you may not want to say ''what you need to do is'', but, instead explain both ways and explain why many people are fishlessly cycling. also maybe put some links to more specific articles by you or someone else about stocking, combatibility, etc.

again, my apologies, it is a good article for the beginner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice