Check Out My Killi Fry Update (:

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Fishstery, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Just posting an update on the fry I've reared from my fundulopanchax gardneri trio. Last I posted the fry were around 2 months old and I was starting to get color from the males. There are 4 males and 5 females! They are now about 4 months old and my biggest Male is about 1 inch. They are in a basic 5 gallon. I'm moving in 2 months and closing down half of my tanks so I've decided to rehome my trio and the rest of the fry in another 4 weeks and keep my best Male (although I might keep 2 with no females since I dont want to do anymore fry). Heres the parents:
    20190124_184806.jpg

Here they are shortly after moving them to the grow out tank and then a few weeks after:
    20190322_154842.jpg20190323_162646.jpg20190524_180109.jpg

And heres my two best males now, the largest and the one I'm definitely keeping has perfect marking and coloring, he is very blue and green and has gorgeous magenta spots thanks to the "red innidere" strain passed on from the mother. The other smaller Male has very electric green finnage, and not much blue on his body. Its really interesting to see the color difference between the two, and I'm excited to see what the other two males end up looking like!
    20190610_164025.jpg20190610_164125.jpg20190610_164211.jpg20190610_164611.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

2. mbkemp

mbkempWell Known MemberMember

They are awesome!

3. OP
    OP
    Fishstery

Thank you!!! This is the first time I've ever raised fry and I didnt even intend on breeding so I'm really happy and I wish they would stay this size because nothing's cuter than mini killies :happy: I considered offering the parents and fry on here but I'm scared to ship them because I've never packaged fish to ship before

4. mbkemp

If you do try to ship killi’s are perfect. The small bag fits what they can be cozy in

5. OP
    OP
    Fishstery

I'm just unsure if they're safe to ship because they are still pretty young and I dont know how to properly bag and pack them

6. mbkemp

If you don’t have bags then buy breather bags. As long as temperatures are moderate you need to secure the bag, rubber band etc. most cut styrofoam to fit inside of the box, so a box within the box if you will.

If there is room inside the box in the box use something to keep the bagged fish snug like another fish bag blown up, plastic sacks or something to cushion the bag. Ship killi fish one to a bag.