Cheapest lighting for 29gal planted tank!:)

Scoutsfish

title says it all! I have a reg 29 gal tank(30" long) need one bulb that is good for plants(med-high watt). Petco, Petsmart, Home depot? where too and around how much?! thanks!

scotty b

you could do 2-3 clamp lamps with 23w 6700k spiral bulbs and grow plants well and that would be less them 20 bucks

jetajockey

For the ease I'd probably just go with a 2 bulb t5ho fixture, aquatraders or ebay for around $40-$50.

Scoutsfish

one problem...my hood only holds the one light and I am not about to go get another hood:/ they cost tooo much! I also HAVE to have the hood on 24/7.. A certain kitty of mine thinks that she is allowed to sit on the hood, drink from the tank, play with the fish(paws on glass as they swim by) and sticking her paws into the water... Of course, she only tries to get into the tank. I never let her. But she sits on the hood of my 15gal during the night and watches me sleep.. its just creepy and annoying, worrying me she'll break it someday(luckily, I don't think she enjoys sitting ontop of my 29 gal, the hood is clear and she thinks there isn't one there..) Haha! i've heard home depot and lowes have some lights...

_:lmcw:_

I am having the same dilemma... I've got a 29 gal planted tank that only has one bulb as well. I had been using a GE Plant and Aquarium 24" Fluorescent Bulb which is 20w and 3100k. I believe that worked pretty well for while, but feel like my plants could be a lot more vibrant.

Scoutsfish

I almost got a 30" light at petsmart the other day for about $20. It was a pinkish one that helps plants, but the wattage was only 18 which is lower than what I have.. I may just head over to home depot or lowes and check out their selection. I really would like to get atleast 2 watts per gal. May even try to upgrade the lighting in my 15 gal as well. btw, love your blue ram pic!(even if it may not be yours..) I'm looking to buy a pair soon, but the closest petsmart/lfs don't have any, so I'll have to travel a little bit to get them :/

I waited more than 6 months after my tank had cycled to buy a beautiful pair that spawned an my tank only a few days after I got them, but they both died within 2 weeks. the lfs I got them from told me my ph of 7.5 was perfect even though they require 5.5-7.0. just know that they are very sensitive to poor water conditions, but if you know what they need going into it, you will be fine.

I will definitely buy another pair, but I am waiting until I can get my ph to stay stable around 6.5 .

Scoutsfish

Ya, I've heard they like a low pH, but can live in a higher one if well acclimated. Sometimes they just die for no reason whatsoever, very sensitive:/ If you don't mind me asking, how much were yours? I know the website of my lfs has the electric blue rams for $25 each, and if that is the case with the german blue, it simply won't be an option Hopefully when I get mine I'll be able to keep them alive! Sorry to hear about your loss, and hope the next pair will live

I've seen them in petshops around my house between $13 and $20 each, I assumed that more expensive must mean better breeding. Not so sure about that now, but when I buy another pair I'm going cheap.

Scoutsfish

aww. hopefully theyre cheaper here:/ May have to just wait and see. I just don't want to spend like $40 to have a huge possibility that they will die in a week or two because of their sensitivity:/

Scoutsfish

oh, I tested my tank's perimeters, the pH is about 7 but the water is very hard.. Do they generally like it soft or hard?...

they like relatively soft, I've heard of people keeping them in ph 7 water as long as it can stay there without fluctuating. my problem is that my tap water is extremely hard so every time I do a water change or top it off, my ph shoots up.

Scoutsfish

The pH stays stable from what I know... I tested it right before a WC, noticing my nitrates were getting slightly too high for my liking(even though tank is perfectly clean hardly any fishy waste..) I may have to look into getting something else if the rams end up not being a choice..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Plantedtank2021
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
  • Question
Replies