Cheap Therm Broke In Aquarium.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tiny_Tanganyikans, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I had one of those cheap glass thermometers break in my sump, I went to adjust the suction cup and it tapped against the acrylic and broke. . The inside actual mercury therm didn't break just the outside and the little balls underneath the wax fell into my fuge. I cut the pump and removed the chunk of moss that the balls fell on to. I also removed all the water in the sump and replaced it just to be safe. I'm assuming they're just lead or something to weight the bottom down? It's not anything I should be worried about? First time one ever broke and I always was paranoid about it happening.

2. Feesh404

Feesh404Well Known MemberMember

Your fish should be fine!
    Just monitor your fish for a while! Happened to me b4! Everything was okay like nothing happened

3. OP
    OP
    Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Nobody seems phased by it. I got most out I hope though some may of gotten burried in the sand in the fuge.. I'm hoping its just lead since I have tons of lead plant anchors from like 5 years ago still burried in some aquariums with no issues. I just got really worried, never happened before

4. PaulaMPi

PaulaMPiValued MemberMember

FWIW, Most thermometers don't have mercury anymore either (and if they did, the liquid would be silver, not red).

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

The red liquid is alcohol. The same thing happened to me many many yr ago but the alcohol leaked and i lost the lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice