Cheap Therm Broke In Aquarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had one of those cheap glass thermometers break in my sump, I went to adjust the suction cup and it tapped against the acrylic and broke. . The inside actual mercury therm didn't break just the outside and the little balls underneath the wax fell into my fuge. I cut the pump and removed the chunk of moss that the balls fell on to. I also removed all the water in the sump and replaced it just to be safe. I'm assuming they're just lead or something to weight the bottom down? It's not anything I should be worried about? First time one ever broke and I always was paranoid about it happening.

Feesh404

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your fish should be fine!
Just monitor your fish for a while! Happened to me b4! Everything was okay like nothing happened

OP
Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nobody seems phased by it. I got most out I hope though some may of gotten burried in the sand in the fuge.. I'm hoping its just lead since I have tons of lead plant anchors from like 5 years ago still burried in some aquariums with no issues. I just got really worried, never happened before

PaulaMPi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FWIW, Most thermometers don't have mercury anymore either (and if they did, the liquid would be silver, not red).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Weekly

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 15 17.9%

Top Bottom