Cheap Schooling Fish?

Narnia4FishLife

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
27
Location
Narnia, JK (Actually Texas)
Experience
Just started
Ok, so I'm almost done setting up my turtle tank and need some cheap schooling fish I can get at my local Petco or Petsmart. I honestly just want to try the waters and see what fish will work. And if they do stick I can have them roaming in my 29 gallon with my non-aggressive turtle and corys.

Rules:
Keep in mind I have a 29 gallon
Petco or Petsmart so that if I need more I can easily go get some. No LFS sadly:(
NO GUPPIES. (I don't need 500000000 babies. Don't even sell me on the cannibalistic parents)
No platies or Mollies. (Not that much hate as I do for guppies. If someone can show me how good they are, I'll consider it but no)
Nothing aggressive. Looking at you tiger barbs.
Tolerate PH of 7.1
Temperature of 77-78
Something pretty (Doesn't have to be stunning but will look good in a school)
Potential breeding. If I really like them I might want to breed them. So something easy to breed.

*IMPORTANT* They are fast and pretty smart, so they won't be eaten alive.

I was thinking neon/cardinal tetras, danios, rasbora (I love them) or cherry barb?
Give me a list so that if one of them on the list isn't at the Petsmart, I can rely on others.
I can also access Aquahuna for online shopping but it's not preferred.

Thank you for responding!
Best regards,
Narnia
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,498
Reaction score
1,481
Experience
4 years
What turtle is he and how big is the guy ? Fish won't last for more than a week with turtles. Fish dont even last more than a hour with my turtle !
 

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Member
Messages
928
Reaction score
420
Location
PA
Experience
More than 10 years
Danios are about the fastes fish that are also cheep and small and hardy, and gorgeos. But any fish in a turtle tank should be considered turtle food. And not really that healthy turtle food either.
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Central Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Turtle AND fish in a 29? That can only work temporarily, the turtle will outgrow that tank quite fast. Also as the turtle needs a land area, we are not talking 29gallons of water anymore, but at best 15-20. Keeping the water quality good for fish is basically impossible under these circumstances. I'd just go with the turtle until it has outgrown the tank and then switch to fish when the turtle is in a bigger tank/terrarium.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
N

Narnia4FishLife

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
27
Location
Narnia, JK (Actually Texas)
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:
Turtle AND fish in a 29? That can only work temporarily, the turtle will outgrow that tank quite fast. Also as the turtle needs a land area, we are not talking 29gallons of water anymore, but at best 15-20. Keeping the water quality good for fish is basically impossible under these circumstances. I'd just go with the turtle until it has outgrown the tank and then switch to fish when the turtle is in a bigger tank/terrarium.
It's a juvenile musk turtle. They only grow up to 4 inches in a male.

Blueberrybetta said:
What turtle is he and how big is the guy ? Fish won't last for more than a week with turtles. Fish dont even last more than a hour with my turtle !
Musk turtles are primarily carnivores and usually aren't interested in fish as long as they are fed well.

MacZ said:
Turtle AND fish in a 29? That can only work temporarily, the turtle will outgrow that tank quite fast. Also as the turtle needs a land area, we are not talking 29gallons of water anymore, but at best 15-20. Keeping the water quality good for fish is basically impossible under these circumstances. I'd just go with the turtle until it has outgrown the tank and then switch to fish when the turtle is in a bigger tank/terrarium.
I'll be upgrading him into a 40 gallon once he is bigger
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Central Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Narnia4FishLife said:
I'll be upgrading him into a 40 gallon once he is bigger
Nice for the turtle, but did you get what I meant about keeping fish with it?
 

Leeman75

Active Member
Member
Messages
358
Reaction score
485
Location
Near Chicago, IL
Experience
4 years
kallililly1973 said:
How about a school of the rosy red minnows they usually have in the feeder tanks... get a bunch of those for about $.30 eaxh
I agree here...$0.30 is plenty cheap enough for just about anything. That way, if/when they do become turtle food, you're not out much. The only other alternative that's cheap around me is the Zebra Danios. Super quick and about $1.50 each, so you could try a few and see how they do.

I agree also with the thought that 29 (but not really 29) is kind of small for both. Interested in what you end up doing, so please keep us posted! Also, would love a pic of the tank and turtle!!

Best wishes!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
N

Narnia4FishLife

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
27
Location
Narnia, JK (Actually Texas)
Experience
Just started
Leeman75 said:
I agree here...$0.30 is plenty cheap enough for just about anything. That way, if/when they do become turtle food, you're not out much. The only other alternative that's cheap around me is the Zebra Danios. Super quick and about $1.50 each, so you could try a few and see how they do.

I agree also with the thought that 29 (but not really 29) is kind of small for both. Interested in what you end up doing, so please keep us posted! Also, would love a pic of the tank and turtle!!

Best wishes!
I think I'm going to stick with the panda corydoras, and when I upgrade hopefully to the 40 gallons, I can keep tetras etc.
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Central Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Panda cories in a less than 29, with a turtle... I don't think it will work, with the cories needing more room and low nitrates.
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Central Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Won't work. They need plants and hiding spots. Sorry to break it to you, but before your turtle moves into a 40 or bigger, the general idea of keeping fish with it, is very likely not going to work. At best some guppies of a hardy strain might work, if any. As long as you are going to keep the turtle in that tank please try to treat the tank size as maybe 15 gallons and the turtle as a massive bioload.

Also a weekly waterchange is going to be a must. Even without fish.
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,624
Reaction score
9,293
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
Seems like every option is impossible in your tank..not to mention your thread is being sidetracked.... I have a heavily planted 29 with 10 tiger barbs 8-10 guppies 5 albino Cory’s an albino BN pleco and quite a handful of ramshorn snails and have never had an issue with any of them... I would try the rosy red minnows 10-12 of them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
N

Narnia4FishLife

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
27
Location
Narnia, JK (Actually Texas)
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Seems like every option is impossible in your tank..not to mention your thread is being sidetracked.... I have a heavily planted 29 with 10 tiger barbs 8-10 guppies 5 albino Cory’s an albino BN pleco and quite a handful of ramshorn snails and have never had an issue with any of them... I would try the rosy red minnows 10-12 of them.
I think it's too overstocked now. I think I might just put the turtle by itself. But thx for the suggestion!
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
2,544
Location
Central Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
Narnia4FishLife said:
I think it's too overstocked now. I think I might just put the turtle by itself. But thx for the suggestion!
Sorry for crashing down on your idea, but you made the better choice now. Good luck with the turtle and hey, as soon as you upgrade that tank you can get fish. :)
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
296
Guests online
3,396
Total visitors
3,692

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom