Cheap Plant Lighting?

1. Megan1001 Initiate Member

I broke the lights on my new 5 gallon tank and was wondering where I could buy a cheap new light. I am going to be adding a lot of live plants and maybe a dwarf puffer so if anyone has ideas of lights that will be good for the plants that would be great. Or any DIY ideas? Also any ideas how to cover the hole where the filter is? I had an adf escape from the top and I don't want it to happen again.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What light did you have on it? Do you have any plants currently that were growing under the old light? A cheap light is just a desk lamp with a CFL bulb, Daylight or 6500K+, I've also successfully used Cool White in a pinch. LED bulbs are also available that can work.

3. Megan1001 Initiate Member

I have a 1 module LED hood light that came with the tank. There were no plants growing yet because I was just starting to set the tank up but I'm going to add plants in soon. How many watts should the CFL bulb be or do you know where I can find the LED lights?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

There are lots of choices and what you need will be determined by what you want to grow and how high tech you want to go. For low light almost anything will do. What's your budget?

5. Megan1001 Initiate Member

I want to grow red flame swords, banana plants, and other plants that I'm not sure the name of. I have a heavily planted 10 gallon with the same LED lights and the plants have done well. I want to stay around $25 which I know is cheap for lights.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get replacement LED's for your hood?

7. Megan1001 Initiate Member

I've looked for them but they don't have the right ones.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Have you considered ordering online?

9. Megan1001 Initiate Member

Yes they don't have them either. I might just get a LED Astrid from a hardware store and make a DIY light.

10. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I just use leds in my tanks. 1 meter of leds with IP67 protection (which means humidity wont harm them) cost 5 bucks online in Mexico. You can paste them to a trunking, but I just leave the strip resting on the lid because im lazy. A whole meter of light will probably be too strong for your tank so I would use less. Usually 1 LED has about 30 lumens. (I know this isnt an exact way of measuring light but I dont have a PAR sensor and will never buy it, im broke).
    As for a CFL bulb, a 13 watt one should suffice your needs. Be sure to use a reflector.