Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cheap Plant Light For 55 Gallon - I’m Confused

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gillyfish, Jan 10, 2019.

1. GillyfishValued MemberMember

I’d like to get better lighting. Right now on my 55 gallon I have the hood and led that came with the tank. I have live plants but nothing that requires high light. What is a decent cheap light for a 55. Also this probably seems silly but what do I do about the hood if I get a new light? I have HOBs on both sides of my tank. Do they make glass tops that are cut out for filters? Does the tank have to be covered?

2. ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

Hi there, if you want a cheap option, I have this for my 29 gallon and it works well for low light plants:  
    They make glass lids that have a plastic piece that you can cut to whatever shape you need, I got this one:  

I would have something covering your tank because fish always have the potential to jump out

3. GillyfishValued MemberMember

Thanks I’ll check those out!

4. InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

Ours has an old fashioned wooden hood, and what we did was we got a big outdoor light, one of those long ones, used zip ties to stick it to half of a curtain rod, and sat that inside the hood.Difficult to take out to change the lights, but it even has a splash guard.