10 Gallon Tank Cheap Lighting For A Small Planted Tank?

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am looking for a relatively cheep, small light for my 10 gallon aquarium. I don't really feel the need to have the lighting for appearance, but I want to make sure that my plants don't melt, so I'm looking for something to keep them going. The current inhabitants are Dwarf Frogs, a Betta, and some Ghost Shrimp, and the plants are low maintenance plants, mostly Java Ferns and Anubias. I'm hoping for something pretty small and unobtrusive that will work with my flat glass tank lid, and won't cost too much. I was hoping that someone on here might have some ideas or suggestions about what light works best for this set up.

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CMB said:
I am looking for a relatively cheep, small light for my 10 gallon aquarium. I don't really feel the need to have the lighting for appearance, but I want to make sure that my plants don't melt, so I'm looking for something to keep them going. The current inhabitants are Dwarf Frogs, a Betta, and some Ghost Shrimp, and the plants are low maintenance plants, mostly Java Ferns and Anubias. I'm hoping for something pretty small and unobtrusive that will work with my flat glass tank lid, and won't cost too much. I was hoping that someone on here might have some ideas or suggestions about what light works best for this set up.
What is your price limit?

OP
CMB

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NC122606 said:
What is your price limit?
Under 20, but ideally closer to 10-15 dollars.

OP
CMB

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NC122606 said:
I think you may have to spend about 20 - 27 dollars.
Yeah, I was worried about that. I don't even really want the light, just trying to keep the plants going. I'll look around a bit more before making my final decision, though.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CMB said:
Yeah, I was worried about that. I don't even really want the light, just trying to keep the plants going. I'll look around a bit more before making my final decision, though.
There is another option. You can get shop lights from a home improvement store the ones with the clip and metal dome then get some 6500K daylight bulbs and set something up to clip the light to. That could be much cheaper. Its what I did on my 10 when I started live plants and it helped them along till I upgraded to an led. Funny looking back close to two years ago I actually did the shop lights on my 20 long as well

Attachments

OP
CMB

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
There is another option. You can get shop lights from a home improvement store the ones with the clip and metal dome then get some 6500K daylight bulbs and set something up to clip the light to. That could be much cheaper. Its what I did on my 10 when I started live plants and it helped them along till I upgraded to an led
That sounds perfect, I'll look into that.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
Java fern and anubias can really live under any lights. A gooseneck or clip-on LED lamp would work fine. I picked one up for about $8 from Amazon Warehouse a few years back, paired it with a $4 timer, and they worked great.

Thrift stores like Salvation Army often have desk, table, and clip-on lamps for $2-$10. Just use caution if the light's incandescent, not LED, as it may heat the water a bit of it's too close.

lampro

Reaction score
try the JC&P light the 20" is only $26
my 10 gallon set up
IMG_3988.JPG

New Threads