Cheap/Easy/Efficient Internal Filter, This thing is so loud, help!

KingJade

So I have a 75 gallon tank with two Goldfish in it. Originally, I had 3 sponge filters and a canister running. The water was clear, but not as clear as I wanted it to be. So, I went looking for something that could polish the water so it would be crystal clear, and I also wanted something to push the water around better so that there would be no chances of dead spots in the aquarium.

Well, I went to my local fish store for the second time ever in my life and I bought a SunSun "JP-094" Submersible Filter w/ Spray Bar, 171gph. I loved it when I saw it. Especially because it fits PERFECTLY in the corner of my tank, I can put it as deep in the water as I want or need to, it has an optional spray bar, the flow is controllable AND you can even control which direction it pushes the water! Amazing. I loved it. UNTIL I TURNED IT ON AND HAD IT RUNNING FOR 2 DAYS. This thing is awesome but it's buzzing way too loud and my aquarium is in my room, so I can't escape it.

Does anybody else have experience witht these filters, or anything similar to it? It's a constant loud buzzzzzzzzing noise, way louder than my air pumps! Any suggestions on doing something with the impellar or something? I really don't want to take it out of my tank but it's driving me up the wall with the noise.

This is what it looks like (I attached a picture) and I think I paid only like $27 for it at my LFS.

Attachments

• AquariumFilter.jpg
    AquariumFilter.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7

Azedenkae

If it's a buzzing sound rather than a rattling sound, may be more about it vibrating against the glass than anything to do with the impeller. You can pad its sides with some sort of filter floss to dampen the vibration.

KingJade

If it's a buzzing sound rather than a rattling sound, may be more about it vibrating against the glass than anything to do with the impeller. You can pad its sides with some sort of filter floss to dampen the vibration.
I don't know it may be a rattling sound, lol, I'm not sure how to correctly describe it but I will try that and see if it works because it's driving me nuts

Azedenkae

I don't know it may be a rattling sound, lol, I'm not sure how to correctly describe it but I will try that and see if it works because it's driving me nuts
I mean it could be good in general anyways just to dampen the vibration against the glass (if it is occurring), but anyways if you want, you can try to record it and upload it here somehow, we could try to hear the sound and see what it may be.

ruud

A friend of mine has the same....for a 10 gallon tank; it doesn't make a sound though. Perhaps taking the propeller in and out might work. I do wonder if this filter is going to help. For a 75 with goldfish, Im afraid there is no cheap solution. You need an oversized canister. Or invest in plantlife to get crystal clear water. You could purchase rhizome plants like Java fern and attach it do suction cups on the glass. No need for maintenance for years. Just get a lot. You can even use it to hide your filters a bit.

Fae

Tape padding or foam to the corner of the tank it's on as well as pad the inside. Vaseline the impeller. Make sure nothing is getting sucked into it and blocking it.

Check out something like a UV clairifier, it may help clear your water up

KingJade

A friend of mine has the same....for a 10 gallon tank; it doesn't make a sound though. Perhaps taking the propeller in and out might work. I do wonder if this filter is going to help. For a 75 with goldfish, Im afraid there is no cheap solution. You need an oversized canister. Or invest in plantlife to get crystal clear water. You could purchase rhizome plants like Java fern and attach it do suction cups on the glass. No need for maintenance for years. Just get a lot. You can even use it to hide your filters a bit.
I have a huge canister filter but I pack it full of bio media, not so much anything to polish the water because I don’t want it to impede the flow. I’ve really been interested in live plants but I’m just so scared I’m going to end up killing them and then they rot away and cause more problems in my tank. My grandfather has tons of live plants, but he also isn’t on city water, he has well water and a reverse osmosis system for his entire home. My city tap water is horrendous.
Tape padding or foam to the corner of the tank it's on as well as pad the inside. Vaseline the impeller. Make sure nothing is getting sucked into it and blocking it.

Check out something like a UV clairifier, it may help clear your water up
I’ve got a UV clarifier but I haven’t used it lately because I’ve been treating my fish with some meds so I can’t use it right now. BUT Vaseline on the impeller sounds like a good idea. I’ve got some food grade lubricant stuff I might use instead of Vaseline but I forgot all about that until now. Thank you!

ruud

Is your surface water agitated? If not, it should. Perhaps you can direct the outlet towards the surface. Does miracles.

Java fern is the strongest of all plants and requires the least maintenance. I'm exaggerating a bit, but really you can't go wrong. I assume you use the same tap water for your fish, so if it is OK for the fish it sure is OK for java fern. No need for RO water. Sometimes you have to take out a dead leave or so, but that's it.

You could also add Pothos in your tank; the roots should stick in the water and let the plant grow emersed. Does wonders as well.

jtjgg

i used this before i upgraded to Seachem Tidal hobs.

Maxi Jet 1200 with water/soda bottle and polyfil.

KingJade

Is your surface water agitated? If not, it should. Perhaps you can direct the outlet towards the surface. Does miracles.

Java fern is the strongest of all plants and requires the least maintenance. I'm exaggerating a bit, but really you can't go wrong. I assume you use the same tap water for your fish, so if it is OK for the fish it sure is OK for java fern. No need for RO water. Sometimes you have to take out a dead leave or so, but that's it.

You could also add Pothos in your tank; the roots should stick in the water and let the plant grow emersed. Does wonders as well.
Would you consider surface agitation as strictly being water falling into the water and breaking the surface (such as a spray bar or hang on back filter would do) or do you consider air stones (bubbles) surface agitation as well?

Because I have a lot of bubbles. I have 3 air stones, in the substrate and in the sponge filters as well.

But I don’t have anything actually breaking the surface of the water — like a spray bar would do. I took the spray bar off of my canister filter return because I felt like it was impeding the water flow. Although I do have the outlet directed and almost level, but a tad bit above the waters surface (so I can see it moving the water), like you recommended.

I’m starting to wonder if I need something else to actually break the surface of the water.

The only reason I got the smaller internal filter was so I would have something I could stick towards the bottom of the tank that would push the water around down there. I like it, I guess it does a good job, but it’s noisy. I think it’s just a design flaw. I’ve never used a wave maker but I’ve been looking into them lately.

My tank is just so huge especially for it being in my bedroom. Lol, I wouldn’t really be complaining about the noise if it weren’t in my room. I saved 1 goldfish from its near death and man, it has been a freaking JOURNEY! I love it though. My 75 gallon tank in my room is a little odd for a 25 year old female with a pitbull, but hey, I love animals.
i used this before i upgraded to Seachem Tidal hobs.

Maxi Jet 1200 with water/soda bottle and polyfil.

This is genius. Thank you for sharing it with me!
This reminds me of the small box filters that I started out with (the small plastic PennPlax ones filled with filter floss) which I used to LOVE because they were so efficient and kept my water crystal clear! But that was when I had 20 gallon tanks, lol.

Since I’ve upgraded to bigger tanks I dismissed them as being ineffective and not adequate due to their small size. I could never really find a bigger box filter, or I would totally buy it. I love those things. And I love the fact that you can see through them, so you can 1) see that it’s working and 2) know exactly when to clean it.

I would have never thought of this water bottle thing but I may have to try it. It seems like the closest thing I’m going to get to a box filter that is fit for a large tank. Thank you for replying!

jtjgg

an hob's waterfall does create limited surface agitation. each setup is different, you'll have to see how far the water ripples.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
ActualPisces
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies