Charlie isn't feeling well

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Makena95'GT, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GT Well Known Member Member

When I came back from Thanksgiving break, entrusting the fish to the teacher who knows what hes doing, I found Charlie the female betta just laying on the gravel. I thought she was dead but then I saw her gills moving. She has since been moved to a breeder box in a 10 gallon well-established aquarium, but it's been 3 days and I haven't seen signs of improvement. She doesn't eat.. Just sits there. Any suggestions. Been doing PWC daily with Prime to be sure she always has pristine water.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354128996.076472.jpg
    She also has lost all of her color :(

2. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Makena I'm sorry to hear Charlie isn't feeling well

What temperature is her tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

82 on the dot

4. coacoa8506

coacoa8506 Valued Member Member

i'm having the same problem with mine! ... hope you find an answer because i'm looking for one too...

5. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

UPDATE: now she's floating vertical. Head to the air. I thought she was dead until she wiggled a bit. And there a white 'something, coming from her underside.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354298083.330504.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

I just looked again.. She's dead. :(

7. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I am sry :(

8. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry she died. :( It almost looks like a prolapse but I'm not sure.

9. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

Prolapse?

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry

11. Matt B

Its when part of the fish's digestive tract protrude from their anus, usually not much you can do about it. I'm not positive thats what it was.

12. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

Ahh thank you for clarifying that.

I just buried her in a flower pot. She was my sweet girl. The first female betta I ever had. Hopefully Echo is okay. I just found her hiding under a shell. She was with Charlie, so now I have her in QT just to be safe. She eats and seems all normal, but it's hard for me to keep an eye on her in the 10G cause she likes to hide.

13. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

Hades was moved to Charlie's old tank. Then he started acting weird too. I come back from the weekend to find him dead as well, but the Platy and guppies in there were fine. Come to find out, the heater was messed up and cracked. Killed my bettas. I replaced the heater. Everyone seems fine now. But I'm down to 1 betta, just Delta, who has never been in the death tank.

14. Matt B

At least you were able to identify the cause, good lesson for others as well.

15. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Oh no!:( I am so sorry to hear about this. R.I.P. Hades & Charlie

16. t

totes Valued Member Member

So sorry Makena.

17. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a prolapse, im sorry. There are a few causes for this, constipation and breeding mishaps being the most common.

18. OP
    OP
    Makena95'GT

That makes sense but after she passed I poked at the white thingy and it just rubbed off easily. I assume if it were organs it wouldn't have acted like that. Besides, Hades acted just the same and passed. And the heater was def leeching something into the tank. Looking closely, I could see it. On top of that, the baby betta that was in there, also passed, acting the same. I'm hoping it was the heater >.>

19. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

Better do some major cleaning on that tank before putting another one in there, whatever leaked from the heater could have seeped into the gravel, filter, etc.

Very sorry for your losses :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice