10 Gallon Tank Charcoal in filter affecting cycle???

terp2318
Does the charcoal in the filter have any affect on the cycle?

Does it also have any affect on products that lower Ammonia (Ammolock) or products that raise ph? Current ammonia of .5 - 1 and ph of 6.2. The Ammonia thing had been going on for a week now. The ph for about 4 days. I have been using the ph thing and it doesn't seem to have any affect.

I pulled the filter out, it had some food particles and generally dirty, but it smelled like chemicals....wondering if the filter is absorbing the products to affect the ph and ammonia.

I have a cory and one tiger barb.. both seem unaffected...eating fine... though I wanna give the barb away.. he already killed 3 other barbs.. (obviosluy not the fish for me) Ignore this part since I already know I shouldn't have had the barbs in a 10 gallon tank anyway.

Shawnie
It will have an effect that it will help remove ammonia/waste/cloudyness etc, that builds up...it doesn't effect products like ammo lock , prime , stress coat or ph products etc....ph will change all the time during a cycle ..leave it be and don't mess with the ph..just stick with daily water changes with your ammo lock (get some prime once you have nitrites as ammo lock won't help that) and let the tank cycle.....change out your carbon every 3-4 weeks or it will leach all the nasties back into the tank.it can only absorb for so long

terp2318
Thanks..... I need more patience........

Shawnie
terp2318 said:
Thanks..... I need more patience........
that will be something you will learn the hard or easy way..depending on how you accept it LOL..its the hardest thing to learn ill tell you ..took me 9 weeks to cycle with fish and daily water changes..but now , 10 tanks later, I just keep extra filter media in all my CYCLED tanks to have an instant cycle whenever I need it....good luck!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom