Characteristics of Live Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by tanksalot, Jul 12, 2015.

1. tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

Hey guys. Okay I bought a new black mystery snail :animal0070: yesterday and it still hasn't moved. How can I tell if it is dead?

Thanks! :;snail

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Give it time to settle in. If the snail is tight in his shell he's fine. If you take him out just give a sniff and if he is dead he will smell really bad. No smell than he is resting, sleeping ,or trying to get comfortable in his new environment and it can take a while. Put a piece of fresh zucchini squash or fresh cucumber in every day and leave for 24 hours when he is hungry he will come out to eat. Alison

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Sometimes they take a little while to settle in. Even if it is hanging half in half out of its shell not moving unless it smells horrible it's still alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Beat to the punch on the smell test I see lol.

Yeah give it a sniff. Dead snails stink something fierce.

5. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

My nerites remained in their shells for a few hours and then started poking their antennas out and moving. I would turn of any bright lights, this helped mine.

6. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

Wow guys! This is amazing- EXACTLY what I am looking for. THANKS!!

Thanks, tanksalot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice