Channel Catfish

1. m

matt123 Valued Member Member

Could anyone point me to a good care guide for channel cats? I have two albino cats and want to make sure I'm providing them with the right water parameters and such.

2. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How big of a tank, they get large and need something like a 500+ Gallons?

3. OP
    OP
    m

It is a 55 gallon with two common goldfish. I found out how large they get after purchasing. Unfortunatley I fell in love with them when I saw them and didn't think it through too much. But now I have them and want to do the best I can.

4. Lance0414

Ok first you will need a large tank for both of those fish, a 700 Gallon would fit those fish well but a pond would do better. For information about them check out Badmans Tropical Fish.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They grow very fast, those goldfish will be feeders inside of a few months.

6. OP
    OP
    m

My foldfish are about 5 or 6 inches, you think they'll still be eaten at that size?

7. Lance0414

Channels get 3 feet at average(sometimes are found 3 1/2 feet) and eat Goldfish sized fish in the wild, the Goldfish will likely get eaten but until then they can live together. Channels grow quickly, the first 12 months of their lives they grow slowly but once they get 12 inchs they start growing super fast and soon(about 6 months) you will have a large predator(30-36 inchs) who needs a large tank.