Channel Catfish Questions

metal_head0929
Hey there, I have a little question. I have an albino Channel Catfish that is about 3.5 inches long and he is in a 10 gallon tank at 70degrees F that was originally a quarantine tank when he had ich but now I feel like he might be ok in the colder water as opposed to the 77 degree water in my 29 gallon tank. In the Hospital tank he is alone, and in the large tank there is a 5 inch pictus catfish and an 18 inch tire track eel. Both are pretty docile and I wouldnt worry about the channel catfish getting along in the large tank. My question is, is the 10 gallon tank too small for him right now? he hasnt grown much over the last 3 months. Also, would he be better off/healthier with the other tank mates in the bigger tank? somebody give me a hand

thanks

Advertisement
mathas
is the 10 gallon tank too small for him right now?
Almost assuredly. This is a fish that can get over 2' in length... the vast majority of home aquaria would be too small.

metal_head0929
Ok, I knew he'd get huge, I just didnt know if the temperature would be a problem or if I could leave him in the 10 gallon until he gets a little bigger and i'm forced to upgrade

mathas
The article I linked to specifies a temperature range of 53.6-69.8°F.

I can't say for sure that this particular species is the same, but many temperate fish exposed to tropical temperatures become more susceptible to disease and experience a shortened lifespan.

If your larger tank is significantly warmer, that may pose problems.

metal_head0929
ok, so how long could I wait until upgrading to a larger tank for my channel cat

btate617
You really shouldn't wait.
The sooner the better, that fish needs a big tank, my opinion is your 29gal isn't a good choice either.

Brian

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
McFly
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
Gage
Replies