1 Gallon Tank changing, week or monthly? betta in the cycle =(

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok. here it goes. i know nothing about raising fish. i went to petco and i bought a betta. no one told me about cycling the tank. i bought a 1 gallon aqeuon tank with filter. i got the conditioner, stress coat, stress zyme, ammonia remover, ph test kit, ammonia and nitrite test kits. the ph is stable and the ammonia keeps spiking but it has been at 1.0 the last couple days, before that it was off the charts!! i have had Mauii for 1 week, i got him on my birthday which was may 6. so on may 8 i did a 20% water change cuz the ammonia was at the very end like 7.2? im sorry im not near my stuff right this moment.

my problem is, mauii is cycling with the tank. the ammonia is staying at 1.0 now, when do i do a complete change? ive heard, 10-25% a week then complete once a month. but then i heard complete once a week. i have a 10 gallon waiting for him. all the levels are low...how do i speed up the process if the process starts. i added stress zyme and water conditioner and a nutrifin cycle... im worried. if i knew about cycling i would have waited. im an avid animal lover. now a fish lover

help!!!!!! its been 1 week and do i partial or complete change?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore
Never do a complete water change, or you will send your tank into a mini cycle! just do a partial change of about 10%. But actually I am not sure if you should even do a water change at all since this will slow the cycling process down, I am not to sure on cycling with fish so maybe someone else can answer that better.
If both your 10 gal and 1 gal are still cycling then I would put him into the 10 now since they both have ammonia in them, but the larger tank will be better for him.
You should read this article if you haven't already: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Nice same time

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, and welcome to Fish Lore! When I kept a betta in a 1 gal. bowl, I did complete water changes 3 times week, but mine didn't have a filter or anything, and my betta was regrowing his fins. Since your tanks is cycling, I believe you should do 10% water changes every day to help keep the ammonia levels down. You can detox the ammonia for 24 hrs by using something called Prime. I believe some members get it online. Here are some web pages on the site you may find helpful:
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htmhttps://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm
Some other members should be along shortly to help you. Best of luck!!!

EDIT: looks like someone already is here Good luck!

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree about putting your betta in the 10 gallon. It will take longer for the ammonia to get as high there and since they are both cycling I think that is your best bet. Once in the 10 I would suggest daily 40-50% water changes with Prime as mentioned above. That is what I'm currently doing and my betta is looking quite happy. Good luck!

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i do not have a heater for the 10 gallon yet, thats why i didnt put him in it yet :/

i really appreciate the quick responses, thank you =D

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
pinksprklmonkey---- 40-50% daily? or weekly? the ammonia and nitrite are almost none in there, im scared to move him.... its an aqueon basic aquarium 10 gallon

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore
Never do a complete water change, or you will send your tank into a mini cycle!
I would just point out that the beneficial bacteria is not really free-floating in the water. It adheres to surfaces in the tank. Changing all the water should not effect the cycle unless you mess with the filter media, substrate and/or decor. There may be other problems with 100% water changes (pH shock, etc.), but blowing the cycle would not be the issue.

Welcome to fishlore!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Nutrafin Cycle contains the wrong kind of bacteria and won't help your tank cycle. If you want to try a product that has the right bacteria, Tetra SafeStart is what most here would recommend. I've used it to cycle a tank with fish already in it in less than a week. I'm on my iPod and adding links is a pain, so I can't get you the link for the TSS stuff, but it's stickied in the Nitrogen Cycle section. But only use it in the 10g since that where he's going anyway.

I agree with moving him to the 10g ASAP. I know you don't have a heater yet but I'd argue that the 10g without heater is better for him than the 1g.

If you don't move him to the 10g now, you'll need to do large water changes, like 50-75% I'd say, daily until the cycle is complete. Use Prime or Amquel+ with each water change because they detoxify ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for 24 hours.

-Lisa

-Lisa

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right now i have API tap water conditioner, and stress coat, im short on cash which one of these 2 is the better? i will get amquel but i cant right now. i bought poland spring water, do i just pour it in or treat that too?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would just point out that the beneficial bacteria is not really free-floating in the water. It adheres to surfaces in the tank. Changing all the water should not effect the cycle unless you mess with the filter media, substrate and/or decor. There may be other problems with 100% water changes (pH shock, etc.), but blowing the cycle would not be the issue.
Thats right, I had forgotten that these people who do the complete water changes also scrub everything else real good and that is what does the tank in. The complete water changes are just frequently a part of the over cleaning, but not the cause of the mini cycle. Thanks for the info!

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right now i have API tap water conditioner, and stress coat, im short on cash which one of these 2 is the better? i will get amquel but i cant right now. i bought poland spring water, do i just pour it in or treat that too?
I would go with the Stress Coat for now until you are able to get either the Prime or Amquel Plus. Personally I don't think you need to use the spring water at all. Treated tap water would be fine. You definitely want to be doing water changes daily to help keep your ammonia levels as low as possible during the cycle. With the 1 gallon tank I would say at least 50% daily, more would probably be better. Just make sure that you match the temperatures of the new water to the tank water to avoid fluctuations which can lead to ICH. As soon as you can get the heater for the 10 gallon tank so you can move your betta over there. Tetra Safe Start is a good product for quickly cycling a new tank, but I would only recommend using it for the 10 gallon as that is going to be his permanent home. Just one note, TSS is not available at major chain stores like Petsmart or Petco, but smaller mom and pop shops might carry it. Purchasing it online is also an option. It generally runs about 13 dollars for the smaller bottle, but when used according to the directions it works wonderfully. I used TSS to cycle both my betta tanks with stellar results. Good luck with your fish!

Last edited:

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
keep rambling prince powder, i need all the info i can get. ive been researching 5 hours a day for the last week. =) what do i do if he gets dull looking?

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my 10 gallon has been sitting there with treated water for 6 days. no fish in yet. mauii my crowntail betta will be in there soon. should i do anything to this tank? any water changes? it has the water conditioner in it.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How are you cycling your 10 gallon? A lot of methods take a month or more. He'll be a lot happier in that in the long run but you wouldn't want to put him through the stress of the cycle in the 1g and then the cycle in the 10 g as well.
As for looking dull, it will often come from ammonia/ nitrites at this stage so water change is the answer. That is the big reason, aside from space, little tanks are a pain. The water can go off so quickly and they need such frequent maintenance.

Mauii143

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i put the stress zyme and water conditioner in it. ive been testing it but the readings are very low, nothing is happening yet.the filter is running.thats it should i be doing anything else to cycle it?

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom