Changing too much water?

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
It seems like the general guideline of water changes is 25% every two weeks. I change 50% every week or week and a half. I have a 29 Gallon tank with false julli cory cats (4 adults, 1 kid), 2 nerite snails, and 1 big mystery snail. This seems like a pretty low bioload imo and I am planning on adding some more fish in the near future. But everytime I change the water I have 30 or 40ppm nitrate. I checked my tap water and there is either 10 or 20ppm nitrate in there, I cannot tell in the difference in the master test kit. For feeding, every day I put in 13 bottom feeder tablets or occasionally 1 block of frozen bloodworms. And I vacuum the gravel every water change. Does everyone else just have a lot of plants or is my tap water bad?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
FishBeginner2020 said:
Hi,
It seems like the general guideline of water changes is 25% every two weeks. I change 50% every week or week and a half. I have a 29 Gallon tank with false julli cory cats (4 adults, 1 kid), 2 nerite snails, and 1 big mystery snail. This seems like a pretty low bioload imo and I am planning on adding some more fish in the near future. But everytime I change the water I have 30 or 40ppm nitrate. I checked my tap water and there is either 10 or 20ppm nitrate in there, I cannot tell in the difference in the master test kit. For feeding, every day I put in 13 bottom feeder tablets or occasionally 1 block of frozen bloodworms. And I vacuum the gravel every water change. Does everyone else just have a lot of plants or is my tap water bad?
I disagree than general consensus is %25 every 2 weeks.

I think most agree %25 to %50 a week.

So I think you are right on with your water changes if it's working for you and keeping nitrates low.

Happy fish keeping

Fisch

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishBeginner2020 said:
Hi,
Plants definitely would help. I just added Dwarf Lettuce floaters and my Nitrate values are really low now. If the Nitrates are as high in your tab, you may want to switch to RO water?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
FishBeginner2020 said:
Hi,
It seems like the general guideline of water changes is 25% every two weeks.
I don't agree with this
I change 50% every week or week and a half.
This sounds much better. All my tanks get a 50% water change each week.
I have a 29 Gallon tank with false julli cory cats (4 adults, 1 kid), 2 nerite snails, and 1 big mystery snail. This seems like a pretty low bioload imo and I am planning on adding some more fish in the near future. But everytime I change the water I have 30 or 40ppm nitrate. I checked my tap water and there is either 10 or 20ppm nitrate in there, I cannot tell in the difference in the master test kit.
Since you have nitrates in your source water you may want to consider running nitra-zorb in your filter. It is one product I have personally used and was very pleasantly surprised that it worked as well as it does at pulling nitrates out.
For feeding, every day I put in 13 bottom feeder tablets or occasionally 1 block of frozen bloodworms. And I vacuum the gravel every water change. Does everyone else just have a lot of plants or is my tap water bad?
That sounds like a lot of food for the low stocking you have in this tank. You may want to cut back on the amount you are feeding.

New Threads