changing to saltwater

1. Fu Manchu Dude Member Member

Hello,
    for christmas im changing my 65 gallon tank into a saltwater tank.:;shat
    ive never kept marine before and have a heap of questons

1) Filteration:is A Jebo 835 1000 l/h canister and a aquaworld 1000 l/h Okay for 65 gallon tank.
    2) instead of a protien skimmer can i keep a uv sterilizer instead.
    3) how many whats of lighting do i need ( i wont really have many corals, if any it will be elegance, or frogspawn.)
    4) how do i set it up lol !!!:;dk
    thanks

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

3. Fu Manchu Dude Member Member

do you guys think it would be worth getting a 20 gallon orca tank and setting it up before i turn the 65 gallon into a saltwater?
    thanks

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

At this point, I think the best thing you can do is research, research, research! :)

It's difficult to be patient, but rushing into a SW tank will almost surely cost you more in the long run. If you've never kept SW before, take your time and learn before jumping into it. Try out some books like Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" or join a local reef club and check out some meetings. I researched for a couple of years before starting my first SW tank and I'm glad I did. Good luck!

5. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

I agree with above comment ,,, research ,, both corals mentioned above need medium to high lighting requirements Euphyllia divisia can also be hard to keep for a beginner, they are very sensitive to water conditions ,

6. Fu Manchu Dude Member Member

Hi Guys,
    im doing lots of resaerch and am still tryingto figure out if canister filters are ok for fowlr tanks...
    also do you have to have a protien skimmer ..
    ive got a list of different types of fish i like but i dont know what goes ith what
    Occelarus ??? Clowns
    Mandarin Fish
    Flame Angel
    Fire Hawkfish
    Yelllow Tail Blue Damsal
    Dwarf Lonfish
    Coral Beauty
    Snow Flake Moray Eel
    thanks for any help

7. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

Snow Flake Moray Eel can grow up to 3 ft very quickly and will eat fish crabs snails ect ect ,, mandarin needs a established tank with lots of pods to feed from i wouldnt buy unless i see it accept flake or other food as they can be very hard to feed,,,,
    clowns ok
    fire hawk can eat snails (mines does) can be pretty aggressive in smaller tanks but these are very nice fish
    lion fish i would keep clear of if you are inexperienced
    you may have issues with adding a coral beauty and a flame angel together ,,, i have in my other pc i think a compatibility chart i will try to dig it out ,, its not precise but gives you a general idea

8. Fu Manchu Dude Member Member

Thanks Nemo Addict
    What about protien skimmers ??? do i need 1, are canister filters okay ?
    also all the reaserach on lion fish ive read says they are very very hardy ?
    thanks again

9. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

skimmer , personally i would , canister filters can become nitrate factories with media in them , i would remove media and put live rock in there with maybe phos ban or rowaphos and a course filter sponge, yes lions are hardy they will proberbly out live anything in your tank and through diseases they are pretty much terminators lol even when realeased back in to the sea in different countries they have survived and been seen in some very unusal places for them ,,,

10. Fu Manchu Dude Member Member

Hello
    Thanks Nemo Addict
    Ive Decided On A Stocklist
    1 Eel ( Not Sure On What Type, Whats A Small Commen Type )
    1 Dwarf Lionfish
    What size Tank Will I Need, Do You Think I Could Get Away With A 55/60 Gallon ??
    Thanks

11. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

most eels would require a 100 gal minimum as they grow rather large and quick , feeding them is also expensive as they require live food here is a snipet from a care sheet

Diet & Feeding: A carnivore, this eel will try to eat anything it can get its mouth around. It is a hunter and prefers to dine on live foods, such as small fish, crabs, shrimps, and squids. In captivity it may be difficult to get this eel to eat at first, with larger specimens sometimes not eating for several months.

Providing this eel with live feeder fish may help to stimulate its natural feeding instincts, and once adjusted to tank life it may begin to accept strips of fish flesh, such as smelt, haddock, orange roughy, as well as squid.

As with most all eels, foods are best offered directly to this eel on a feeding stick, and it should only be fed when it wants to eat. In all likelihood this will be a couple of times a week, or even up to several weeks in between feedings, and then only feed the eel as much as it will consume at one time.

From time to time it is not uncommon for the Dragon Moray Eel, as do most all other eels, to go into a "hybernation" period, at which time it will usually hide and not eat for several weeks, or longer.