Changing To Community Tank

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi All,

First post here. I’ve been keeping Mbunas for the past three years. I jumped in not knowing what I know now and tried to keep them in a 46 bow front which is only 3 feet long. Went well when they were juvies but as they matured it didn’t go well.

Any way I’m changing over to a community tank with live plants. I was thinking I’d like the community based around Angels.

After trading in the last 5 Mbunas I’m keeping a Pleco that’s about 6”. Any suggestions on the other fish to keep that would get along with Angels would be greatly appreciated.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings and welcome to Fishlore

Mollies, platys, glass cats, rasboras, golden wonders, glowlights, neons (but have to have the water at the low end for angels and the high end for the neons, female betta (1),pearls, GBR's, mystery snails, bolivians, ottos, BN and ABN (but not with your other plec), and others. We have these fish in aquariums together now or have in the past

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
Welcome to Fishlore!

What species of pleco?

How many angels were you wanting to keep?
Just your regular ugly plecostomus. He or she was tough to hang in there with Mbunas. What's a good number of Angels to start with? I was thinking 4 or 5.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Would you be up for rehoming the pleco? He'll get much too large for your tank, and he's adding a lot to the bioload.

Unlike rift lake cichlids, angels shouldn't be overstocked. It'll increase aggression. I would only do one or two in a 36" tank. More, and you'll more than likely have to rehome many when they're adults. 4-5 in a 48" tank doesn't usually work out long term, even.

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Texas, no more than two. I appreciate the feedback.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom