Changing The Water Chemistry

Chandell
So I’ve been using r/o water in my fish tank and thanks to everyone’s input on here I have learned that I have no minerals in my water that my fish need by doing this. My question is, if I start adding tap water or a minierlizer will the chemistry change be okay for my fish?

Thunder_o_b
Yes. Use this Seachem - Equilibrium

I have been using this for years and have found it to be a fine product. I just bought an 8 pound container of it

Chandell
Okay and that is what I would use for r/o water or tap water?

Yes. Use this Seachem - Equilibrium

I have been using this for years and have found it to be a fine product. I just bought an 8 pound container of it
I’m just not sure if I should continue using r/0 water or switch to tap water?

Thunder_o_b
I’m just not sure if I should continue using r/0 water or switch to tap water?

For RO water.

I installed a 5 stage 75 GPD RO/DI system 5 years ago because I wanted complete control over the water's chemistry. I have plants and add several products for their growth so surprise changes in the water are not welcome.

Chandell
For RO water.

I installed a 5 stage 75 GPD RO/DI system 5 years ago because I wanted complete control over the water's chemistry. I have plants and add several products for their growth so surprise changes in the water are not welcome.
I am not able to do that, honestly I have no idea what that means. I tested both waters and tap water shows GH 0 and KH 240
R/o water shows GH 0 and KH 0
The picture shows the test strips I
DD48AC07-D370-4CB6-B0A7-5C109C5206E1.jpeg
EF169D74-B6E4-416C-9BC0-09BD8C86C8C4.jpeg used for this.

So absolutely nothing in my R/o water. Would you recommend I still use r/o water with that seachem stuff or should I do half r/o and half tap water?

Thunder_o_b
Buying RO/DI water can be costly and a lot of effort. But it is superior to tap water if properly treated. That being said, Many people use tap water and do quite well.

Tap water has the potential for major changes depending on what the water authority decides to do.

I always advocate RO/DI water where it can be done.What is achievable and practical for me may not be so for others. There are several different ways to go about this. From a simple under sink unit to a large system like I installed (I have the knowledge and tools). Only you can make that call. I can post sources for the various setups if you would like.

EDIT: I do not advocate mixing RO with tap. But, again there are those that do it. But you dilute what ever minerals are in the tap. Better to use tap and then top off with RO water. Minerals do not evaporate and topping off with other than RO long term can lead to a buildup of heavy metals. Although, water changes should keep this in check.

Chandell

454EBA56-1693-4585-B9C0-991C996E08AB.jpeg I attached a picture of the RO system my dad installed. So you think I should use tap water adding some ro water, instead of using all ro water with a mineralizer? Sorry I am quite new at fish keeping and obviously still have a lot to learn. I really appreciate all your help.

86 ssinit
That ro system is for your whole house or just drinking water? Not knowing what’s wrong with your tap water doesn’t help. I’ve used tap water filtered through a dechlorinator forever. I’ve also never tested for gh or kh. Neither is important to me with my tap water. The best thing for you to do is talk to your lfs and ask what is the common procedure used in keeping a fresh water tank. Everybody’s water systems are different and your lfs will know what’s best.

86 ssinit
That ro system is for your whole house or just drinking water? Not knowing what’s wrong with your tap water doesn’t help. I’ve used tap water filtered through a dechlorinator forever. I’ve also never tested for gh or kh. Neither is important to me with my tap water. The best thing for you to do is talk to your lfs and ask what is the common procedure used in keeping a fresh water tank. Everybody’s water systems are different and your lfs will know what’s best.

Thunder_o_b
View attachment 424425 I attached a picture of the RO system my dad installed. So you think I should use tap water adding some ro water, instead of using all ro water with a mineralizer? Sorry I am quite new at fish keeping and obviously still have a lot to learn. I really appreciate all your help.
Me, I would do one or the other. And top off with RO if you go with tap.

We are glad to help keep asking all the questions you need to.

Chandell
Thank you. The ro system is just for drinking.

Chandell
Me, I would do one or the other. And top off with RO if you go with tap.

We are glad to help keep asking all the questions you need to.
Thank you so much! Sometimes I feel like an idiot on here but I don’t care as I just want the best for my fish! I’m going to town today to but what you have recommended and I will just keep testing the water. So I’m thinking as long as my ph is 7-8 I should be okay with the water I am using? I did a test just now and my ammonia is 0.25 and ph 7.6 no2 are 0 and no3 are at 5ppm. Is that okay?

Thunder_o_b
Thank you so much! Sometimes I feel like an idiot on here but I don’t care as I just want the best for my fish! I’m going to town today to but what you have recommended and I will just keep testing the water. So I’m thinking as long as my ph is 7-8 I should be okay with the water I am using? I did a test just now and my ammonia is 0.25 and ph 7.6 no2 are 0 and no3 are at 5ppm. Is that okay?
You are NOT an idiot.

You really should show no ammonia. Keep an eye on it.

The water you are using will be fine.

Chandell
You are NOT an idiot.

You really should show no ammonia. Keep an eye on it.

The water you are using will be fine.
Thank you so much.

Chandell
Thank you so much.
Hey there me again! I just got back from town and none of the pet stores sell the seachem equilibrium so I will order it on amazon. I’m just wondering if I should also order the seachem stability or is that for new tanks only?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
evonner
Replies
Views
StevieBubbles
Replies
Views