Changing The Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by seth rodgers, Apr 20, 2018.

1. seth rodgers

seth rodgersValued MemberMember

Hello,
    I asked this the other day but mever got the response i asked. What should I do if i am replacing the filter on an established tank?
    Thanks guys

2. ILLBETHEJUDGEValued MemberMember

the filter? you mean the filter pad? what brand and model is your filter?

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If you are just needing to replace the filter cartridge because it is worn out and if there is room in your filter housing just run both the old cartridge and the new cartridge. If the water no longer flows freely through the cartridge or there is not room to run both of them cut the fiber off the old one and put that fiber in the housing along with the new one. This way you will not be throwing away the bacteria that is keeping your tank cycled.

4. varmintWell Known MemberMember

The obvious question is what kind of filter are we talking about?

5. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

I am changing the whole filter, new system. i am going from a aqua tech 5-15 to an aqueon 20 because i accidentally bought the wrong size for my 25 gallon so i am putting the aqueon on my 10 and giving the aqua tech to a friend. I am just wondering how i should change out the filters because i know that will mess up the nitrogen cycle

6. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

if the current media in whatever filter is on the tank is cycled, take that out and put it in the new one.

7. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Thank you

8. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

The only problem is that the filter cartridge is way to small for the new filter

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Uae that cartidge to seed the other one. If theres room, tuck the old one behind the new one or consider placing tye old one near the filter intake. Just leave it in there for a couple a weeks, and then take it out.

10. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Okay so i should use the full cartridge or just pull off the front piece?

11. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

if there's room, I'd use all of it. bit if needed, just take off the front.

12. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Thanks man

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice